|You are here:  Cambria > Obituaries > ALLENDORFER, Helena Hedderich|
ALLENDORFER, Helena Hedderich
|Johnstown Tribune, 12 Mar 1906, Page p7; c4, Contributed by Lynne Canterbury|
|MRS. JOHN H. ALLENDORFER.|
Mrs. Helena Hedderich Allendorfer was born in Germany on February 11, 1858, and died at the Allendorfer residence, Edgehill Drive, Westmont, between 11 and 12 o'clock Saturday night, after an illness of two years of cancer. She had been bedfast since last July.
The deceased was a daughter of Henry Hedderich, for many years engaged in the butchering business in Johnstown. Mrs. Allendorfer's mother died in October 1858, and a short time later Mr. Hedderich and his family came to America and settled in Johnstown. Mr. Hedderich passed away at the Allendorfer home here on December 20, 1900. Mrs. Allendorfer was a sister of Mrs. Katharine Raab, mother of George Raab and Mrs. George W. Hamilton, and who perished on the day of the Great Flood at her home on Clinton street, and also of Mrs. John Murton, of the Tenth Ward. The deceased was a half-sister of Mrs. Phillip Hertzinger, Sr., of Railroad street, while another half-sister, Mrs. William Marx, died in Hoboken, N. J., on April 18, 1904.
Miss Helena Hedderich and John H. Allendorfer were married in this city on March 16, 1876, by the Rev. Dr. Karl Taubner, then the pastor of Zion's German Lutheran Church. For many years the Allendorfer family resided in the First Ward before moving to Westmont. Mrs. Allendorfer is survived by her husband, who is the foreman of the Cambria Steel Company's machine shop; a son, Harry Allendorfer, at home, and by three daughters -- Rosa, wife of Dr. Charles E. Born, of Locust street, Lucy, wife of Homer Wilson, of Westmont, and Lillian, wife of Lynn Gobin, at home. Besides these, she is survived by two grandchildren, Mildred Born and Robert Wilson.
The funeral will take place at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon from Zion's German Lutheran Church, where the pastor, the Rev. Hugo R. Erdmann, will conduct the obsequies. The remains will be laid to rest in Grand-View Cemetery. Mrs. Allendorfer was a lifelong member of the German Lutheran Church, was identified with the Dewing Society connected with that congregation, the Women's Memorial Hospital Association, the Women's Relief Corps, Auxiliary to Emory Fisher Post G. A. R., and the Daughters of Ruth, Auxiliary to the Mystic Chain.