|You are here:  Cambria > Obituaries > PLACK, Henry|
|Johnstown Daily Tribune, 20 Dec 1898, Page 5, Contributed by Sue Elliott|
|Henry Plack, one of Johnstown's oldest German residents, died at his home, No. 125 Coal street, Tenth Ward, at 1:50 o'clock this morning. Mr. Plack had not been well for seven years. He suffered an attack of the grip in 1891 and about ten days ago he was compelled to take his bed. He was conscious to the last and slept peacefully away.|
Henry Plack was born December 13, 1824, in Biedenkopf, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, being one of a family of four children. Two of his sisters died many years ago in Germany and his only remaining sister is Mrs. Frederick Shaffer, of Pueblo, Col., who formerly resided in Johnstown.
The deceased came to America in 1849 with a number of other Germans and located in Baltimore where he remained but a short time, after which he located in Duncannon, Blair County. He was a molder by trade, which he learned in Biedenkopf, and upon his arrival in this city in 1850 he was given a position in the Cambria Foundry, where he remained until 1886, when he retired.
In October, 1854, Mr. Plack was married in this city to Helen Damm, also a native of Biedenkopf. Rev. Klise, who was the first regular minister of the German Lutheran Church in this place, officiated. Rev. Klise died here not long after the congregation called him and his remains were interred in the Horner Cemetery. Later they were exhumed and taken to Grand View Cemetery.
Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Plack, as follows: George Wilhelm, deceased; William H., who died not long after the Great Flood; Henry Jr., at home; Jacob, deceased; August and Charles, at home; Lizzie, deceased; Amelia, at home. Mrs. Plack is among the surviving relatives.
Besides his wife, three sons, and daughter, the deceased is survived by four grandchildren, viz: John H., Elmer A., Emma, and Gertrude, children of William H. Plack. The deceased had made his home on Coal street during the past eighteen years, having purchased his residence from Mr. Joseph Freidhoff.
The funeral will take place at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon, when Rev. John Luepke, past of the German Lutheran Church, will conduct the obsequies, after which interment will be made in Sandyvale Cemetery.
Mr. Plack was a lifelong member of the Germany Lutheran Church, having united with it in Biedenkopf before he started for America. He was one of the oldest communicants of the church in this city.