You are here:   Cambria > Past Events > 1915 Johnstown Tribune
Past Events



26 Feb 1915
Submitted by Lynne Canterbury


Leona Henning.

Leona Henning, aged 46, is deat at the home of her brother, Henry T. Henning, 1120 Brushton avenue, Pittsburg. She was born in Rochester, N. Y., and moved to Pittsburg 40 years ago. She was a member of St. Andrew's Lutheran Church. Three brothers, Frederick W., Henry T. and Charles H. Henning, survive.

Funeral services at the residence of her brother, Henry T. Henning, 1120 Brushton avenue, this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock.

Funeral of Mrs. Gregory.

The Rev. Robert D. Clara, pastor of the First Lutheran Church, this city, on Wednesday afternoon conducted the funeral services over the remains of Mrs. James Gregory, whose death occurred Saturday night at South Fork.

Mrs. Gregory's maiden name was Lizzie Fegley and she was a daughter of Mathew and Argeline Fegley, of Marklesburg, Huntingdon County, who died about 24 years ago. She was born near Marklesburg, June 16, 1873, and moved to South Fork in 1894, where she had resided ever since. She is survived by her husband and five children - Charles, James, Ruth and Annie, at home, and Ralph, married and residing at South Fork; also two grandchildren, Don and Francis Gregory, and one brother, Willie Fegley, of Marklesburg. Among the relatives from out of town were Mattie Weller, of Marklesburg; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Prought and Mrs. Samuel Moyer, of Williamsburg; Mr. and Mrs. Hetrick, Mrs. Glass and Mrs. Hoover, of Altoona, cousins of the deceased; Miss Cora Gregory, of Lewistown; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Gregory and family, of Johnstown, and Mr. and Mrs. Wagner and family, of Altoona.


For someone who wants to reside just outside of city line --

Two acres ground and eight room house at Roxbury to a quick buyer for $2,800.
One acre ground, four room house, small barn, fruit trees, berries, good garden soil; one mile from Geistown, for $1,700.

A farm of 50 acres, two miles from Blairsville on Northern State Pike; six room house, about 100 assorted fruit trees (cherries to burn), including coal, for $5,000. Would exchange for good city property.

Choice of four new houses, five rooms and bath; electric light, all of switches; natural gas; front and rear porch. Choice of any $2,300.

John Stenger
The Insurance Man.
Woolf Block.
Phone 13-06B.


Friday, 12 Mar 1915
Submitted by Mary Lou Crichton George


A. B. Crichton, of Johnstown, Gives Land with Provisio Attached

Portage, March 11. -- The Prospect Cemetery Association met in the office of Burgess Henry Tuesday evening to wait upon A. B. Crichton, of Johnstown, a member of the Martin Realty Company, relative to the purchase of some ground for a new cemetery. Mr. Crichton agreed to donate the ground with the proviso that no bodies be refused for burial if death occurs in the vicinity of Portage. Some little objection arose in regard to burying of paupers and county dead on the complaint that with the present increase in population it would use up the ground too rapidly. It was later decided that a space be reserved for non-residents and those unable to pay for a grave.

All members present expressed keen appreciation of Mr. Crichton's liberal offer. Before retiriing Mr. Crichton said that it was his desire to aid in all ways possible the welfare of the town. The Secretary was instructed to write the gentleman, accepting his offer. The donation is a fraction less than three acres. A number of bills were ordered paid, after which the meeting adjourned.


Monday evening, 22 Mar 1915
Page 7
Submitted by Dianne Shea

Data Concerning Metropolis of Cambria County
Which is Worthy of Perusal and Preservation

Compiled by Scherer & Kelly Poster Advertising Company from Records on File at Office of The Tribune.

1731-First visit of white men to present site of Johnstown.

1755-Evacuation of Indian village of Connumach (now Johnstown) by Shawonese and Delaware tribes.

1794-Settled by Joseph Johns.

1806-Founding of Conemaugh Old Town (later named Johnstown) by Joseph Johns.

1837-Old Pennsylvania Canal formally opened for transportation.

1840-Founding of Cambria Iron Company by George S. King.

1883-Founding of Johnson Steel Street Rail Company (now Lorain Steel Company)

1889-Historic Flood of May 31, over 3,000 lives lost.

1889-Johnstown incorporated third-class city on December 18.

Johnstown is on the main line of the P.R.R. 76 miles east of Pittsburg and 252 miles west of Philadelphia.

The city is located in the valleys of the Stonycreek Little Conemaugh and Conemaugh rivers, in the shape of a Y, surrounded by high hills of the Allegheny Mountains.

It covers and area of five square miles, about seven-eighths of which is built upon.

For the most part it is level, with portions running up hillsides.

Elevations range from 1,148 to 1,600 feet above sea level. The center of the business district has an elevation of 1,171 feet.

There are 82 miles of streets and 53 miles of alleys. There are 35.8 miles of streets paved and 5 miles of alleys paved.

The land area of Johnstown is 2,997.3 acres.

Johnstown is in the center of the Conemaugh Valley, which as a population of about 150,000, all practically dependent upon Johnstown.

Johnstown and its boroughs, some of which are nearer the center of the city than some of the outlying wards, has a population of about 100,000.

The population of Johnstown proper in April, 1910, was 55,482. The population on July 1,1914, was 64,642.

The population of the boroughs which go to make up Greater Johnstown are as follows: Conemaugh, 5,046; Brownstown, 3,005; Dale, 2,285; Ferndale, 514; Franklin, 2,102; Rosedale, 419; Westmont, 1,468; Stonycreek, 2,2,93; Daisytown, 383; Lower Yoder, 2,765; Upper Yoder, 928.

The population of Johnstown increased 54.4 per cent, more than one-half from 1900 to 1910, growing twice as fast as did the average of those cities in Pennsylvania which might be classed with it. The urban population of the while Untied States increased only 34.8 per cent during the same period, or about three-fifths of the rate of Johnstown. Johnstown it adding 2,000 a year to its population.

Johnstown ranks as the 95th city in the United States, being surpassed in Pennsylvania by only Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Scranton, Reading, Wilkes-Barre, Erie and Harrisburg.

Johnstown ranks eighth in Pennsylvania.

Great Johnstown would rank the city fifth in the State and 64th in the United States.

Johnstown has a very cosmopolitan population, English, Germans, Austrians, Slovaks, Polish, Croatians, Servians and Italians predominating.

The Slovaks make up the greater part of the foreigners.

The German element is the strongest among the people. Closely followed by the English.

There were in 1910 30,940 males and 24,542 females in Johnstown city proper.

Of the native whites there were 19,840 males and 19,864 females.

There were 22,613 males over 15 years of age, of whom, 12,696 were married and 9,246 single.

There are 16,292 females over 15 years of age, of whom 9,831 were married and 5,043 single.

Males of voting age, 18,808.

Johnstown is the shopping center for Cambria County, which has an area of 717 square miles and a population of 166,131, and Somerset County, which has an area of 1,034 square miles and a population of 67,717. Cambria County had an increase of 58.5 per cent in population from 1900 to 1910, the largest of any county in Pennsylvania.

There are 11,736 houses in Johnstown.

There are 15,000 lots with buildings and 11,000 lots without buildings.

Ordinarily in Johnstown there are from 6,000 to 10,00 more men than women, a condition found nowhere else in the United States for a city its size.

Assesses valuation of taxable property in Johnstown in 1914 was $48,612.60.

The tax levy for 1914 was 4.4 mills for general purposes and 1.6 mills for interest and bonded debt.

The polls of 1914 in Johnstown proper totaled 13,949.

Resources of city proper, $2,269-$334.67. Liabilities, $1,628,542.03.

Bonded indebtedness, $626,000.

City income, $500,000 per year. City running expenses $350.000.

Valuation of real estate owned by city, $1,741,000.

Few women are employed in Johnstown in trade occupations.

Laboring wages are $1.50 to $2. Skilled laborers' wages are $3 to $6.

Johnstown is essentially a non-union city, there being no trade union having more than 200 members.

The Johnstown Chamber of Commerce has 730 members.

Johnstown is in the greatest bituminous mining center of the United States.

Johnstown is in the center of the greatest steel manufacturing district in the Untied States.

Johnstown ranks third in Pennsylvania in the value of its manufactured products, being surpassed by only Philadelphia and Pittsburg.

Johnstown produces every year about $50,000,000 worth of manufactured products.

Johnstown is the largest commercial center between Pittsburg and Philadelphia.

The chief industries of Johnstown are the manufacture of steel and its products, coal mining, and the manufacture of radiators, stoves and brick.

Johnstown has the largest heater and radiator factory in the United States (The National Radiator Works).

Johnstown has the largest independent steel company in the Untied States (The Cambria Steel Company).

Every day one or other of the departments of the steel works in Johnstown is paid, so that practically every day is payday in Johnstown.

The monthly payroll in Johnstown for the chief industries amounts to $1,500,000.

During 1914 over $7,500,000 was spent in Johnstown on private improvements. There were only 20 big improvements and 100 new residences and apartment houses.

Over $500,000 was spent in new school buildings and city improvements in 1914.

There are 105 manufacturing establishments of any consequence in Johnstown.

There is an unlimited supply of bituminous coal about Johnstown.

The Lorain Steel Company, manufacturers of railway frogs and switches, sends its products to all parts of the world.

Johnstown is on the main line of the P.R.R.; is the terminus of the S. & C. Branch of the B. & O., and also has the Johnstown & Stonycreek R.R.

There are two street car lines-the Johnstown Traction Company and the Southern Cambria Railway Company. There are 40 miles of electric railway in the city proper.

The Southern Cambria lines tap a territory of about 75,000 people, the lines running from Johnstown to South Fork, Ebensburg and Nant-y-Glo.

The Johnstown Traction Company has a line to Windber, tapping a territory of about 20,000 people. The Berwind-White Coal Mining Company, whose steam coal is famous on the Atlantic seaboard, has its operations in Windber.

There are three daily newspapers in Johnstown. The Tribune (afternoon), with a circulation of 19,000; the Democrat (morning), with a circulation of 10,000; the Leader (afternoon), with a circulation of 8,000.

Johnstown has a $300,000 Y.M.C.A. plant, with 1,500 members.

Johnstown has an unconditionally free Carnegie library known as the Cambria Library, with 16,000 volumes.

The Johnstown Traction Company, with 36 miles of rails in the city, carries 16,000,000 passengers yearly.

The resources of the 11 banks in Johnstown are $21,660,000.

The deposits are $16,000,000.

The B. & O. receipts in Johnstown last year were - freight, $2,500,000; passenger, $70,000.

The P.R.R. receipts in Johnstown last years were -freight, $2,700,000; passenger $350,000.

The postoffice receipts in Johnstown last year were $150,000.

The Johnstown Telephone Company, with 300 local stackholders, has 9,0000 'phones and a capital of $2,000,000.

The Bell 'phone branch here has an investment of about $500,000 and 1,500 'phones.

The Lorian Steel Company employees ordinarily about 3,000 men, and has a payroll of $160,000.

The Cambria Steel Company employes from 15,000 to 20,000 men, the latter figure having been reached in 1913 and has a monthly payroll of $1,000,000.

The area of the Cambria Steel plant is 392 acres.

The Cambria Steel Company manufactures steel cars, rails, blooms, billets, slabs, angles, beams, channels, plates, axles and forgings, merchant bar and agriculture steels, wire rods and wire products.

The Cambria Steel Company mines 1,500,000 tons of coal a year.

Johnstown has an excellent water supply. At present there are seven reservoirs, with a storage capacity of 13,500,000,000 gallons. The daily consumption is 90,000,000 gallons.

Johnstown has a natural gas supply. The rate is 35 cents per 1,000 cubic feet.

The rate for electric current is nine cents per 1,000 kilowats.

The water meter rate is 27 cents per 1,000 gallons (maximum) and five cents per 1,000 gallons (minimum).

Johnstown has an Ad.-Press Club with 65 members.

Johnstown has 40 hotels, including the new Fort Stanwix (A $750,000 hotel).

Johnstown has 67 churches.

Johnstown has one legitimate theater (seating capacity 1,500); one vaudeville theater (capacity 1,200); seven motion picture houses (capacities from 500 to 1,500).

Johnstown has 60 licensed saloons, six breweries, and 14 wholesale liquor establishments.

Johnstown has a paid fire department, with nine stations, 70 men and four pieces of motor apparatus.

Johnstown has 26 public school buildings, with 275 teachers, and 8,508 pupils enrolled. The text books are furnished free.

Johnstown has 13 parochial schools, with 73 teachers and 3,556 pupils.

Estimated value of school property, real and personal-$1,500,000. Bonded debt, $524,000.

General tax rate for school purposes five mills; tax rate for bonded indebtedness, 1.5 mills.

State School appropriations for Johnstown in 1914-$35,994.28.

There are in Johnstown: 52 whole-sale jobbers, two business schools, , 13 automobile agencies, 17 bakers, including three wholesalers; 94 barbershops, 15 blacksmith shops, nine printing establishments, eight book and stationery stores, 26 cigar stores, seven brick manufacturers and dealers, 11 builders' supplies, eight bottling works, two wholesalers and two manufacturing plants; 176 general stores, 91 confectioneries, including five wholesalers; 60 contractors and builders, 29 dentists, 12 department stores (The Penn Traffic being the largest between Pittsburg and Philadelphia) 31 druggists, 16 furniture stores, 11 hardware stores, 41 insurance agencies, 20 jewelers, 13 photographers, 92 physicians, 120 nurses, seven piano stores, 23 plumbing firms, 11 shoe stores, 13 steamship agencies, 50 lawyers, 61 meat markets, including five wholesalers, 20 painting firms, 17 coal companies, 41 real estate agencies, eight florists.


15 Aug 1915
Submitted by Janet Gray


Smokeless Coal Company Employee Cut in Two by Train in Eighth Ward


Mrs. Rose Harkins Wyar yesterday at the ___lering undertaking establishment on Franklin Street identified the body of a man cut in two on the B & O tracks in the Eighth Ward as that of her husband, Joseph Wyar. He was a native of Johnstown vicinity but had been located at Cleveland, O., for a time. Since August 2 he had been employed as a miner at the No. 1 mine of Smokeless Coal Company, Ferndale. Wyar had been boarding at 821 Oak Street. His wife had been living with her mother and brother, Mrs. Elizabeth Harkins and Frank Harkins at 742 Lucas alley. Her four small children: Mary, Elizabeth, Francis, and John were with her.

The body of Wyar was found about 6 o'clock yesterday morning near the water tank. It was believed that he was struck by the train not long after midnight. He was about 41 years old.

Funeral services will be held at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning at St. John Gaulbert's Catholic Church and the burial will be in the church cemetery at Geistown.

Mrs. Theresa Wyar, mother of the accident victim and Mrs. Clara Miller are here from Cleveland for the funeral. Four sisters and three brothers including Mrs. Miller survive Wyar. All are located in Cleveland. His father, John Wyar, was killed in a coal mine in Johnstown about seven years ago.


Monday, 8 Nov 1915
page 4, column 5
Contributed by Gordon Grening

Mrs. Emma Bush Leidy.

Mrs. Emma Bush Leidy, aged 30 years, died Saturday evening at her home in West Taylor Township after a long illness of pulmonary trouble. She is survived by her husband, Edward Leidy, and a son, William Leidy, aged 11 years. The deceased was a daughter of Edward Bush and the late Mrs. Levine Sell Bush. The funeral took place this afternoon, with burial in the Benshoff Hill Cemetery.


Saturday, 13 Nov 1915
Contributed By Patty Millich.


Mrs. Sarah Wagner, Formerly of Barnesboro and Spangler, Run Down by Trolley

Barnesboro, Nov. 13 --- Northern Cambria County people were grieved to hear of the violent death of Mrs. Sarah Wagner, a former resident of Barnesboro and Spangler, who was fatally hurt last week when run down by a trolley car in Akron, O., where she had been living. She will be remembered by a large number of people in northern Cambria because of an extensive acquaintance gained in selling books. Many of her relatives live about here, including these chidlren: Miles and Charles, of Spangler; Ed, of Allport; William and Jacob, of Akron, O.; Mrs. Clyde Crossman of Colver. These brothers and sisters survive: A.A. Pennington, Simon Pennington and Warren Pennington of Mahaffey; Mrs. H. H. Woods, of Akron, O., Mrs. Sam Lee of Mahaffey, and Mrs. Roob of Renova.

The reamins were shipped from Akron to the home of A. A. Pennington, a brother, at Mahaffey, Wednesday. Funeral services were held at the Harmony Church Wednesday afternoon and interment was in the church cemetery.

Page Created: 2 Sep 2002.
Last Updated:
Copyright c 2000-2014, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors