for at the time, prevented him from taking the office upon the certificate of his election, and he was enabled to serve by special appointment of Governor Robert E. Pattison for one year; in the spring of 1896 he was elected for a term of five years as justice of the peace. After serving successfully in that capacity for two years, he resigned under Governor D. H. Hastings, and removed to Vandergrift, Westmoreland county, where be opened up a barber shop, continuing there for seven years, when he again returned to Johnstown, opening up a shop on Iron street, Fourteenth ward. In the spring of 1906 he was elected alderman of said ward and is now serving in that office. On Christmas, 1883, Alderman Burkhart was united in marriage with Anna C. Findley, a daughter of Abel Findley, of West Tailor township, Cambria county. To their union have been born five children, two sons and three daughters. Howard, Elda, Laura, deceased, Willard and Blanche, who died in her second year. Mrs. Burkhart died March 15, 1906, aged forty-four years, nine months and two days, and is buried in Pleasant View cemetery.
ALBERT E. BENDER, the genial and popular proprietor of the "Hotel Bender," whose versatility has enabled him to fill various public offices with the same success and satisfaction that has accompanied all his business ventures, is a representative in the present generation of one of the old families of settlers, who braved many hardships in the endeavor to found a peaceful and quiet home.
John Jacob Bender, great-grandfather of Albert E. Bender, and founder of the family in America, was a poor gunsmith living in Westphalia, Germany, born in 1740. He was desirous of coming to the new world, thinking to better the condition of himself and family, but this was beyond his means unless they decided to sell themselves upon landing in their new home. He set sail with his wife and four children for Philadelphia, in 1795, and upon their arrival there each sold his or her services to pay their individual fare, and they were bought by different masters, all, however, belonging to the sect of Quakers. After the parents has served their time they settled between Buck's Mills and Loretto, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, where they lived until the death of Mr. Bender in 1829. He had a natural bent for mechanics, and made a clock which served as the timepiece of the family for a great many years, and was probably the first clock made west of the Allegheny mountains. Notwithstanding all the hardships to which the early pioneers were subjected, Mrs. Bender lived to the advanced age of one hundred years. As the children served out their time, which was when they had attained the age of twenty-one years, they followed their parent to Cambria county, with the exception of William, who settled in Maryland, and was exceedingly prosperous there.
Emericus Bender, eldest son of John Jacob Bender, was born in Westphalia, Germany, 1785. He was set free by his master at the funeral of George Washington, whither his master had taken him. He came to Cambria county in the same year, 1799, and was one of the first settlers of Carroll township. He, Conrad Luther and John Byrne, the first three settlers, were permitted to buy land at six dollars per acre, no payment being required for the first six years. They bought a tract of land, four hundred and forty acres each, and this is the old Henry Bender farm. Later he bought another tract of four hundred and forty acres. Emericus walked to Philadelphia, in 1810, to get his sister, Mary Ann, whose time had expired, and she was married one year later to John Byrne. The war of 1812 then broke out, and Emericus formed a