You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.3
History of Cambria County, V.3

HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY. 505
    The father, John Weigle, was born in Somerset county, enlisted in the Union cause in time of the Civil war and was killed at the battle of Antietam, in 1862. He was a member of the Fifty-fourth Pennsylvania Regiment. After the death of his father, Abraham L., with his mother, went to live with his paternal grandfather's family and he there remained until her marriage to Perry Swartzentruber. The father was a farmer and hence the son was used to farm labor.
    Abraham L. Weigle received his education in the public schools of Somerset and attended three terms at Wittenberg College, Springfield, Ohio, but on account of failing eyesight he was compelled to leave college. He then taught school three terms in Somerset county, and in 1887, engage with the Pennsylvania railroad for three years. Since 1890 he has been with the Stineman Coal and Mining Company. In politics he is a Republican and has held the offices of judge of election auditor of the borough of South Fork, councilman three terms, was appointed burgess in 1902, and two years later was elected to the same position. He is a member of the Odd Fellows Order at South Fork, Camp No. 629 of P. 0. S. of A., No. 838 of the Red Men at South Fork. He is an exemplary member of the Lutheran church.
    Mr. Weigle married Mary J. Warner, daughter of Adam and Lovinia (Penrod) Varner, in 1890, and they have two children: Orville C. born October 8, 1895, and Mary B., born April 9, 1900.

    OLIVER M. STINEMAN, of South Fork, Cambria county, was born at that place, December 25, 1878, son of State Senator J. C. Stineman and wife. He received his education at the public schools of South Fork, at Ebensburg and the Preparatory College of Kiskiminetas Springs, Pennsylvania. He is interested in the Stineman Coal and Coke Company, Stineman Coal Mining Company, Cresson Foundry, Machine and Coke Company, with his brothers, father and sister, and owns and operates independently Stineman Colliery, No. 3. Mr. Stineman is a member of the J. C. Stineman Camp, No. 210, of the Sons of Veterans, of South Fork, and belongs to the Evangelical church.
    Mr. Stineman married, September 16, 1903, Bessie M., daughter of James and Jennie Williams, of Johnstown, Pennsylvania.

    WALTER NEFF BOLSINGER, one of the proprietors of the Central Hotel at Ebensburg, Pennsylvania, is a native of that place, born August 14, 1813.
    Christopher Bolsinger, the founder of the family in America, came from Germany and settled in New Jersey, and about 1760 moved to German township, Fayette county, Pennsylvania. He bought land near crossroad, about halfway between Uniontown and McClellantown, where he conducted a hotel called Bolsinger's Old Stand. He was a shoemaker, which occupation he carried on in connection with hotel keeping and farming. He lived to between seventy-five and eighty years of age; had four sons: Philip, Stuffel, John and George, and one daughter who married a Mr. Frogal.
    John Bolsinger, the son of Christopher Bolsinaer, was born August 15, 1781, married, January 28, 1802. His wife, Elizabeth, died in 1826, buried in Lackeys grave yard near McClellantown. John Bolsinger died in 1828, and was buried in same place. They had five children: 1. Phoebe, born 1804, died about 1890; married John McMullen, who died some ten years before his wife; they were buried at Stone Church above Merrittstown. William, born April 10, 1808. 3. George, born October


Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2001, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors