|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.3|
|History of Cambria County, V.3|
|498||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
ticed to the trade of cabinetmaking, and followed this occupation for some time until in 1837 he entered into a business partnership with his father in Loretto, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, and this lasted until his death, which occurred July 11, 1881. He was also an extensive dealer in lumber. He was a man of considerable influence and prominence in the community in which he lived, and served the town in various public capacities. He was a Democrat, was elected a justice of the peace and served one term; was school director several terms, and councilman of the borough. He was a member of the Catholic church. He married Monica M. McGuire, daughter of Luke and Margaret McGuire, of Loretto, and they had children: 1. Eugene, born July 2, 1848; married, first, Mary Bertram, of Carrolltown, Pennsylvania, and their children were: Elizabeth; Serenus; Edward, deceased; William P.; and Bertram. He married, second, Maggie Ivory. 2. Bernard W., the subject of this sketch. 3. Serenus, born 1852, died at the age of eight years. 4. Henry C., born November 14, 1853, married Fanny Kessler and had children: Emma, Raymond, Lewis, Mercedes, Charles, Edwin, and two infants, the three last dead.
Bernard W. Litzinger, second son and child of William and Monica M. (McGuire) Litzinger, was born in Loretto, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, August 20, 1851. He received a good common school education and a course at Villa Nova College, after which he taught school two terms. He then entered the business of his father, to which he succeeded upon the death of his father in 1887, and from that time conducted it alone until April 30, 1903, when his store and six other buildings were destroyed by fire. From that time until the present he has been looking after his other business interests, including the cultivation of his farm, and his large timber and coal interests located in Cambria county. His political affiliations are Democratic, and he has devoted much time to public matters. He was elected justice of the peace in 1885, and re-elected to succeed himself, and has held the office ever since. At various times he has filled all the public offices of the borough, and always to the great advantage of the borough. He is a member of the Catholic church.
B. W. Litzinger and his son are members of the Catholic Mutual Benevolent Association, the father being district deputy, and has been representative to state conventions. B. W. Litzinger was a member of the church committee at the time of the erection of the present church edifice at Loretto. He has always been one of the foremost citizens in promoting the best interests of the community. He is a stockholder in the First National Bank of Ebensburg.
He married, April 17, 1877, Annie Pfoff, daughter of Frederick and Catherine Pfoff, of Loretto. They have one child, Walter, born August 29, 1880. He learned the saddler's trade, at which he is now working. In connection with his shop he conducts a general horse furnishing store. He is also agent for the Adams Express Company. He married Madeline Little, daughter of Edward J. and Rebecca Little, and they have two daughters, Mary G., born July 21, 1904; and Florence C., born March 18, 1906.
HARRY W. BAILEY, D. D. S., of Patton, was born in 1876, in Mansfield, Tioga county, and is a son of Thomas H. Bailey, and a grandson of Clark Bailey, whose father, Roswell Bailey, came from England and settled in Connecticut. His many descendants hold annual reunions to which they flock from different parts of the United States.