You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.3
History of Cambria County, V.3

HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY. 495
Regiment, Maryland Volunteers, and participated in the battles of Winchester, Opequan Creek, Cedar Creek, Mine Run, and the Wilderness, where he was wounded in the arm and sent to the hospital. He rejoined his regiment and at Petersburg received a severe wound, which confined him to the hospital until the close of the war. He was discharged in 1865, at Washington; District of Columbia. On his return home he went to Luzerne county, where he worked in the mines until 1876, when he migated to Texas. In 1881 he came thence to Cambria county, where he sill resides. He belongs to Emory Fisher Post, No. 30, G. A. R., of Johnstown, is a Republican in politics and a member of the Christian Alliance. Mr. Moore married Elenora, daughter of Charles Eberhadt, of Luzerne county, June, 1866, and three children were born to them, two of whom died in infancy, the survivor being William H., of whom later. The mother of these children died in 1870, and Mr. Moore married for his second wife, in 1873, Mrs. Nancy (Miller) Cain, widow of Adjutant John Cain, who fell in battle at Peach Tree Creek. She died in 1904.
    William H. Moore, son of William R. and Elenora (Eberlhadt) Moore, worked as a miner until 1895, when he engaged in mercantile business and has since conducted a general store in South Forks. He belongs to Independent Americans and P. 0. S. of A., Camp No. 629, and in the sphere of politics affiliates with the Republican party. He is a member of the United Evangelical church. He descends from good old fighting stock, as his ancestors have participated in the war of the revolution, war of 1812, Mexican and Civil wars. He is active in local affairs, ready to assist in anything for the public good. He is president of the board of education in Croyle township, serving his second term. He wields a potent influence in the political affairs of the community.
    Mr. Moore married Viola, daughter of B. F. George, of South Forks, and they were the parents of three children: Renna, born in 1896; Laura, born in 1898; and George, born in 1902. Mrs. Moore died in 1902. In 1903 Mr. Moore married Renna George, a sister of his first wife, becoming by this union the father of two children: Alice, born in 1904, died October 24, 1905; William H., born in 1905.

    WENDELL CROYLE, of South Fork, was born in 1848, in Cambria county, and is a representative of one of the old families of western Pennsylvania. The founder settled in Hagerstown, Maryland, whence nine of his descendants, all of whom were brothers, went forth to serve in the patriot army of the revolution. They were all men of fine physical development, Thomas, the youngest and smallest, being over six feet in height. He was born in 1765.
    After the war Thomas Croyle moved to Bedford county, whence, about 1790, he migrated to Cambria county, settling in Summerhill township, where he built a gristmill in 1824. He owned the tract of land on which the village of Summerhill now stands, and the township of Croyle was named in his honor. He was a member of the Lutheran church. He married Barbara Garn, of Maryland, and their children were: Samuel; Frederick, of whom later; Mary, wife of Jacob Stineman; Elizabeth, wife of James Patterson; and Harriet, wife of George Murray. To the mother of these children belongs the honor of having erected at her own expense the first church ever built in Cambria county. The structure was reared about 1820, and Mrs. Croyle also built a gristmill at Summerhill, known as the Summerhill mill and now owned by Daniel A. Sipe.


Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2001, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors