Napoleon B. Haynes, son of Joseph and Sarah (Parks) Haynes, was born near Jennertown, Somerset county, Pennsylvania, May 1828. He remained on the farm of his father until he was eighteen years old and then went to Somerset to learn the trade of cabinet making, with William B. Cuffroth. Three years later he came to Johnstown, and about one year afterward bought a niece of ground on Main street for one thousand dollars, where Young's pharmacy and Zang's shoe store are now conducted, and in a frame building there operated a cabinet maker's shop for about five year. He then sold the property and for several years thereafter was engaged in the contracting and building line. In partnership with George M. Rose, a brother of the attorney, W. Horace Rose, he then engaged in the manufacture and sale of wooden pumps. Some years later Mr. Rose sold his interest to his brother, and later Mr. Haynes went to the west, remaining for some years, and returned to Johnstown in the eighties. Mr. Haynes first worked in the pattern shop of the Cambria Iron Company in 1862, and spent two years there. Upon his return from the west, in 1882, he again entered the pattern shop, and this has been his employment since that time. Mr. Haynes is a lifelong member of the Methodist church, and was the first person baptized in the First Franklin Street Methodist Episcopal Church of Johnstown, being one of the oldest members of that congregation. He has served as a trustee for many years. He has been a Republican since the time of Lincoln, and has served as school director. Napoleon street was named after him, and Haynes street was named in honor of his family. He married, in 1850, Ann Parker, daughter of George and Catherine (Snyder) Parker, of Somerset. George Parker kept a tavern on the old Greensburg Pike for a number of years, in the days of the stage coach. Later he removed to Somerset and kept a general store there. Ann (Parker) Haynes died in 1872. The children of Napoleon B. and Ann (Parker) Haynes were: 1. George, died in infancy; 2. Melinda, deceased, married Cyrus Miller; 3. Annie, died unmarried; 4. Milton J., is master painter in the Cambria Steel Company since 1897; has served as councilman from his ward two terms; married Molly Tremelon; 5. Florence, married John W. Cramer, as preciously mentioned; 6. Frank, died in infancy.
WILLIAM HARVEY CRUM, a longtime resident of Conemaugh, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, who has held many positions of trust and responsibility in the township, is a representative of a family which has been identified with the history of the county for many years, having been for generations extensive land owners.
Abraham Crum was born in 1810, died in 1875. He was the son of John Crum, and one of seven children: John, Cornelius, Abraham, Kate, Elizabeth, Phoebe and Mary. He was a prominent farmer in Summerhill township. He married Amanda Amigh, born July 27, 1820, one of eight children: John, Uriah, Solomon, George, Elizabeth, Margaret, Ruth A. and Amanda. The children of Abraham and Amanda (Amigh) Crum were: Ozias, Austin, Harvey, Nathaniel, George and Abraham, deceased; William Harvey, see forward; Rebecca, married Silas Plumer; Catherine, married Isaiah Berkey; Elizabeth and Amanda, deceased; Ruth, married Daniel Berkey, deceased; and one died in infancy.
William Harvey Crum, seventh son and child of Abraham and Amanda (Amigh) Crum, was born in Summerhill township, Cambria county. Pennsylvania, August 10, 1863. He was educated in the