Mrs. Carthew is a daughter of Lewis Evans, a native of Wales, where he was employed in a woollen factory. After corning to the United States he settled in Pittsburg, where he worked in a nail factory. His arrival in this country was some years later than that of his daughter and her husband, William Carthew. Lewis Evans married Jane Owens, and the following were their children: Jane, born in December, 1834, in Montgomeryshire, widow of William Carthew. Lewis, in Wales. Thomas, of Danville, Pennsylvania. Winifred, died in Wales. Mrs. Evans died in Wales, and the death of Mr. Evans occurred in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.
WILLIAM BENNETT, chief of police, of Braddock, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, who has held a number of positions of trust and responsibility in the county, is one of the most valued citizens of the town, both for his present and past record. He participated in many of the most important battles of the Civil war, and a more detailed account will be given below.
Elisha Bennett, father of William Bennett, was born in 1818, died in 1882. He was a painter by occupation, came to Johnstown, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, in 1859, and spent the remainder of his life in that city. He married Letitia McFarland, born 1821, died 1859, and they had children: 1. Robert, married Martha Graham. 2. Mary A., married John H. Powell. 3. Elisha. 4. William, see forward. 5. Christopher, married Ellen Gay. 6. Joseph, married Elizabeth Shaw. 7. James, married Kate Lang. 8. Arthur, married Annie Whalen.
William Bennett, third son and fourth child of Elisha and Letitia (McFarland) Bennett, was born at Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, October 18, 1845. He received a good common school education in the common schools of the district, and commenced the active work of life in the employ of the Cambria Steel Company, in the puddling department. There he remained until 1871, then went to Monroe county, Michigan, and remained there until 1876, and that year came to Braddock, and worked in the converting mill until 1887. He then went to Duquesne for one year, returned to Braddock in 1888, and accepted a position as labor boss. Two years later he was elected by the borough council as policeman, and in 1894 was appointed chief of police, an office which he now (1906) holds. He was a member of the common council for one year. He is a member of the First Baptist church, and affiliates with the Republican party. He is also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Veteran Legion. He enlisted and was mustered into the service at Harrisburg, September 24, 1861, to serve three years or during the war, in Captain Patrick Graham's Company E, Fifty-fourth Regiment Infantry, Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel J. M. Campbell commanding. He was honorably discharged at Greenspring Run, Virginia, February 28, 1864, by reason of re-enlisting on the same day to serve a second term of three years or during the war, as a veteran volunteer in the same company and regiment. Under his first enlistment the regiment rendezvoused at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, where it was organized and mustered into the service, and on February 17, 1862, left camp for Washington, District of Columbia, encamped near Bladensburg cemetery, was armed with Belgian rifles, and thorough disciplined. It was ordered to Harper's Ferry, Virginia, March 29, 1862, reporting to Colonel D. S. Miles, and stationed for guard duty along fifty-six miles of the Baltimore &, Ohio railroad, between Cumberland, Maryland, and Martinsburg, Virginia, and for nearly one year was