|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.3|
|History of Cambria County, V.3|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||233|
cated in New York City, where he spent six months, and after another six months spent in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he went to Bedford county in that state, and from thence to Johnstown, Cambria county, where he settled permanently in 1852. He opened a tailor shop on Main street, on the site on which his sons are at present (1906) conducting their business. His brother, Christian H. Hohmann, was a well known composer of music, and it thus happened that George N. dealt in musical instruments as well as followed his trade. The musical compositions of Christian H. Hohmann are in use in all the conservatories of music in Europe. George N. married, 1846, Elizabeth Muller, born September 19, 1819, died October 17, 1905. Their children were: George H.; Elizabeth K.; and Edward E., see forward.
Hon. Edward E. Hohmann, second son and third and youngest child of George N. and Elizabeth (Miller) Hohmann, was born in Johnstown, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, November 8, 1862. He enjoyed the advantages of a good education, attending first the public schools and later Duff's College in Pittsburg. At the completion of his studies he returned to Johnstown and associated himself in the musical instrument business with his brother, George H., under the firm name of Hohmann Brothers, doing an extensive business now in sheet music as well as in instruments. Their methods are progressive and enterprising, and the business is in a most flourishing and satisfactory condition. Mr. Hohmann is a member of the Lutheran church. He has always taken an active and intelligent interest in the public affairs of the community, and has done much toward their improvement in many ways. In political affairs he has been especially prominent. A leading Republican, he was elected a member of the state legislature in 1902, and re-elected in 1904, to the great satisfaction of his constituents. He declined a third nomination, although it was certain that it would be unanimous. While he represented his county in the state legislature, he advocated a movement to have a new county formed out of parts of Cambria, Somerset, Westmoreland and Indiana counties, which county was to be known as Conemaugh county, with Johnstown as its county seat. Although not successful, as he was opposed by the most prominent element in the Republican party, still it was defeated by only a vote of fifty-nine to sixty. By so doing he won the admiration of his constituents, as he fought the cause of the people. He was urged to accept a renomination, but would not. He is connected with the following organizations: Past grand master of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and now a member of the supreme finance committee; member of the Order of Heptasophs; member of the Order of Iroquois; and past president of the Fraternal Congress.
He married, October 2, 1884, Ida B. Wilson, daughter of James M. and Esther (Horn) Wilson, and they have one child: Vivian B., born September 24, 1885.
WILLIAM C. LEWIS. In May, 1834, William Lewis with his wife and their children sailed from England for America, and July 4 of the same year landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At that time William C. Lewis was a boy fourteen years old, and was taken from school and his books to cross the Atlantic ocean and thenceforth live in the country where his mother was born, but far away from her native home in Boston, Massachusetts. After staying for a time in Philadelphia, the family moved to the interior of Pennsylvania and settled at Hollidaysburg, then in Huntingdon county, but now the seat of justice of Blair county. Here the son would have continued his studies, but educational facilities in the