You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.3
History of Cambria County, V.3

HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY. 83
mercial College, Pittsburg, employed in the First National Bank of Johnstown from June, 1889, to January, 1902, and then resigned on account of impaired health. Since that time he has travelled extensively; 2. Ella Fritz, born August 29, 1875, graduated from Johnstown public school in 1892 and from Wells College, Aurora, New York, in 1897; married, November, 1903, Harrison W. Latta and now lives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 3. John Kinter, born July 8, 1878, educated in the Johnstown public schools and Kiskeminetas Springs school at Saltsburg, Pennsylvania; was employed for several years in the First National Bank of Johnstown, and now is connected with an engineering corps at Annapolis, Maryland.

    DR. GEORGE E. CONRAD. Among the many eminent medical practitioners of the city of Johnstown, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, the name of Dr. George E. Conrad deserves a conspicuous place. He traces his descent to German and Irish ancestry, members of his family having come from Germany and Ireland a few generations previously.
    Henry Conrad, the grandfather of Dr. George E. Conrad, and the founder of the Conrad family in America, was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and emigrated to this country about 1826, accompanied by his family, and settled in Indiana county, Pennsylvania. He married Anna Gertrude Fobel, and had children: 1. Henry; 2. George, of whom later; 3. Catherine, married Adam Shrader; 4. Ann, married Dr. Ferdinand Bingle: 5. Caroline, married George Englebaugh; 6. John, a prominent attorney in Brookville, Pennsylvania.
    George Conrad, second child of Henry and Anna G., (Fobel) Conrad, was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, about 1818. He was about eight years of age when his parents came to the United States, and grew to manhood in Indiana county, Pennsylvania. He moved to Somerset county, Pennsylvania, in 1847, and soon after to Scalp Level, where he was a prosperous merchant for nearly half a century. He married, Jane Gahegan, who had sisters and brothers, as follows: Sarah, Crockett (girl), Jacob, Thomas and Joan. Mrs. Conrad was the granddaughter of Thomas Gahegan, who was a native of Ireland, emigrated to America, and settled in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, but later moved to Somerset county, where he purchased a furnace and began the manufacture of charcoal for the iron works in the district. He operated this successfully until 1837, when the great panic of that year ruined the iron industry for the time being. He was a prominent member of the order of Free and Accepted Masons. The children of Mr. and Mrs. George Conrad are: George E., see forward; Henry W., deceased, married Amanda Oster. Ida L., married Edward L. Owens. Carrie, married Charles Foust. Alice, deceased, married Dr. H. M. Griffith. Jennie, married Albert Straub, Henry and Alice, deceased.
    George E. Conrad, M. D., son of George and Jane (Gahegan) Conrad, was born at Scalp Level, seven miles southeast of Johnstown, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, January 3, 1854. His preliminary education was acquired in the public schools of his district, but when still very young he was sent to St. Vincent's College, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. From there he went to the Millerville normal school and then taught school for eight years. He then commenced the study of law in the office of his uncle, John Conrad, a prominent lawyer in Brookville, Pennsylvania. The legal profession, however, did not appeal to him, and he began the study of medicine in 1873 under the preceptorship of Drs. Yeagly, of Johnstown. He then attended lectures at the


Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2001, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors