|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|574||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
children have been born: Earl Ferdinand, October 27, 1890; Karl Edward; November 23, 1892; Katharine Freda, June 8, 1896; Robert Jacob, April 22, 1902.
CHARLES F. KIRKENDALL. The Kirkendall family is of Scotch origin, as is well attested by the name, which is common in Scotch history. The family evidently removed to Holland, for from thence came the paternal ancestors of Charles F. Kirkendall, with the early Dutch who settled in Manhattan (New York), and their descendants in the second and third generations from the immigrant ancestor dispersed throughout New York and elsewhere. Several members of the family are found in Pennsylvania and New Jersey prior to the Revolution. From the latter colony were Andrew Kirkendall, of Hunterdon county, and Samuel and Stephen Kirkendall, of Sussex county, all of whom served honorably in the struggle for independence.
Charles F. Kirkendall, of Johnstown, was born March 30, 1863, near Wooster, Wayne county, Ohio. He received his preliminary education in the neighborhood public schools, and at the age of seventeen entered Wooster (Ohio) University, where he was a student for nearly three years, also taking a special course in the School of Pharmacy in Cincinnati, to supplement the practical knowledge previously acquired in a drug store in Mansfield, Ohio. After completing his pharmaceutical course, he went to Akron, Ohio, where he accepted a position as head clerk in the leading drug store and where he remained for four years. He then went to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and for about eight years had the management of the leading drug store, on the corner of Ninth and Penn streets. In connection with this he settled up the estate of the deceased proprietor. He then accepted a position with the great manufacturing drug house of Parke, Davis & Company, in Detroit, Michigan, being in special supervision over the business of the company in Eastern Pennsylvania and Virginia.
He became identified with the city of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, four years later, in 1896, where he located and bought out The Slater drug store, at the corner of Main and Clinton streets. Since acquiring this property he has rebuilt and refitted the establishment, and has also embarked in the wholesale trade, including various lines of drug manufacture. In the year 1900 he opened wholesale and manufacturing rooms at 334 and 336 Washington street. In December, 1906, he disposed of his retail establishment at Clinton and Main streets, and at the same time bought the old and famous Temple drug store in Washington, D. C., at the corner of Ninth and F streets. He has built up a splendid trade, and enjoys excellent reputation among the leading drug manufacturers and dealers of the east, his products being in large demand throughout that region and in the south, as well as Canada and Mexico. Mr. Kirkendall has built up this immense business through his own ability and untiring effort.