|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|568||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
of soldiers to occupy Camp Curtin, arriving April 18, 1861. The regiment was composed of independent volunteer companies, organized and existing before the war. It was sent to York, Pennsylvania, where it went into camp and was thoroughly drilled and disciplined. The commissary department not yet having been fully organized, the men would have suffered for lack of provisions had it not been for the generosity of the citizens of York in contributing supplies. They moved to Camp Chambers, three miles from Chambersburg, May 27, and there it was later assigned to Wyncoop's (Second) Brigade, Keim's (Second) Division, General Patterson's Army of the Shenandoah. This army was organized to operate against the rebel forces in the Shenandoah valley, who were threatening the adjacent parts of Maryland and Pennsylvania. They moved by rail, June 7, to Hagerstown, Maryland, marched thence to Funkstown, and took up a position to operate against the enemy established at Harper's Ferry, under General J. E. Johnston. They moved to Williamsport, July 1, and the next day participated in a skirmish at Falling Waters, forded the Potomac, and marched with the army into the country controlled by the enemy, who were driven back to Winchester, Patterson's army arriving at Martinsburg, Virginia, July 3. The regiment was then detached from the brigade and ordered to guard the main depot of supplies and the approaches thereto, remaining on guard and garrison duty until July 26, when its term of service having expired, it was ordered to Harrisburg and there mustered out.
After the war, Mr. Spangler returned to Johnstown Pennsylvania, and established himself in the butter and egg business, in which he remained for two years. He then held successively the positions with the following named companies: Various positions with the Cambria Iron Company until 1872; farmer in Springfield, Illinois; Springfield Iron Company until 1885. He located in Braddock, Allegheny county, and worked for the Carnegie Iron Company until 1888; Miller's Forge until 1892; then back to Braddock. He held the position of chief of police of Braddock for three years, and was then appointed janitor of the First Ward school, and remained in that position six years. He was appointed janitor of the Third Ward school, August 25, 1904, and is still holding that position. He is a member of the Methodist church, and a staunch supporter of the Republican party.
Mr. Spangler married, September 4, 1873, Sophia Owens, of Johnstown, daughter of Samuel Owens, who was by occupation a charcoal burner. Mr. and Mrs. Ownes were the parents of the following named children: Philip, George, John, Robert, James, Mary E., Sophia, Catherine. Children of Benjamin F. and Sophia (Owens) Spangler were: Harry, married Nellie James; George; Cora, married James McKelvey; John W., deceased, married Nettie Kettell; Benjamin F., Jr., Ella, deceased; Ida; Bertha, married Thomas Martin.