|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||545|
and Clinton streets, but this was destroyed in the great flood of 1889. Mr. Bostert built a new establishment in Center street a few years later, where he and his son Gustav J. carried on the business under the style of G. Bostert & Son. The health of Mr. Bostert had been impaired for some years, but it was not until a short time prior to his demise that this impairment became a serious matter and resulted in his death, July 7, 1906. He was recognized as one of the foremost merchants in Johnstown, and was interested in a number of other financial projects. He was one of the trustees of the Johnstown Savings Bank, and was elected a corporator of the Citizens Cemetery Association to fill the vacancy caused by the death of one of the incorporators, who lost his life during the flood of 1889. Mr. Bostert was confirmed by one of the pioneer pastors of Zion's German Lutheran church, and was a communicant of the congregation for about fifty-three years. His funeral took place from his late residence, Rev. Hugo R. Erdmann, pastor of the above mentioned church, officiating, and the remains were interred in Grand View cemetery. Mr. Bostert was one of the oldest members of Conemaugh Lodge. No. 191, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and had served through all the chairs. He was always actively interested in all plans for the improvement and advancement of the city, and contributed generously of his means and time. His death was deeply regretted by many, and it was only at that time that the extent of his unostentatious charity became known.
Gustav Bostert married, December 24, 1864, Rev. Dr. Karl Taubner officiating, Henrietta Dopp, born June 8, 1842, daughter of Louis and Elizabeth (Vomhof) Dopp, and they were the parents of children: Gustav J., see forward. Frank A., see forward. Elizabeth, married Otto Ott. Lena. Amelia, George L., deceased. Annie, married Laust H. Lauridsen, of No. 340 Walnut Street.
Gustav J. Bostert, son of Gustav and Henrietta (Dopp) Bostert, was born in Bedford street, Johnstown, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, April 2, 1877. His education was acquired in the public schools of the city, and this was supplemented by a thorough course in the Morrell Business Institute, which he left at about nineteen years of age. He then entered the employ of his father in the feed business, and when he had obtained a practical working knowledge of all the details of this, was admitted to partnership in 1901, the firm name being changed at that time to G. Bostert & Son. His enterprising and progressive methods contributed greatly to the increased success of the business, and since the death of his father he has carried on the business in conjunction with his brother, Frank A., with whom he is in perfect unison. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran church, and his political affiliations are with the Independent party, he entertaining strong convictions on all matters of public importance.
Gustav J. Bostert married, August 3, 1903, Anna Oatman