|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|532||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
Politically Thomas Green was a Whig and served as tax collector in 1790. He also was a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Elizabeth Green, eldest daughter of the pioneer, married a Mr. Murray, and died March 10, 1789. She was buried in the apple orchard, and thus originated the oldest burial ground in the south part of Huntingdon county. Soon after 1794 Helen Wright Green died, and she was buried in the same place. After her death Thomas Green married Sarah Horton, but no children were born of his second marriage. The old pioneer himself died March 11, 1816, and in his will made ample provision for all his surviving children, dividing among them his lands to the extent of eighteen hundred acres. The children of Thomas and Helen (Wright) Green were: Elizabeth, born 1764, died March 10, 1789; married Mr. Murray, Susan, George, born February, 1768; married about 1797, Isabelle Skinner, and had seven children. Mary, born November 7, 1774. Thomas, born 1775, married, about 1801, Margaret Campbell. Abraham. Isaac. John, born 1781. Nancy. Rebecca, married Joseph Campbell, and removed to Ohio. Elisha. Caleb, born in Pennsylvania after 1784.
The other children of George Green, brothers and sisters of Thomas Green, who came to Pennsylvania at the time previously mentioned, settled north of the lands where Thomas made his home and along Warrior's Ridge, in Oneida township, Huntingdon county. In Maryland those of them who had married were slave owners, and George and Elisha brought their bondmen to Pennsylvania. George built a mill on the site where now stands Cornpropt's Mill. He owned many slaves, some of whom were sold, while others were set free when slavery in Pennsylvania was abolished. One of these Negroes afterward lived many years in Huntingdon and always called himself “Thomas Green.” After a time George Green sold his mill property and removed to near Sunbury, on the Susquehanna river. Charles Green settled on Stone creek, where the old Rebecca Forge was afterward built, and still later went to Ohio to live. Isaac Green owned the farm on the Ridge. Millie Green married a Mr. Ricketts, and at her death was buried on the Ridge, where her brothers Clement and Isaac also were buried. Elisha Green occupied a tract of land on the west side of Stone creek, three-quarters of a mile north of the town called Donation. George Green, son of Elisha, owned this land in 1870.
George Green, third child and eldest son of Thomas and Helen (Wright) Green, grandson of George Green, of Maryland, and grandfather of Wesley Green, of Johnstown, married, about 1797, Isabella Skinner, and had seven children: Matilda, Lemuel, George Morris, father of Wesley Green, Elisha, Sarah Ann, Susan and Archer Green.
George Morris Green, third child and second son of George