|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||521|
as member of the borough council. William Cover was one of the fifty original corporators of Grand View Cemetery.
William cover married, December 17, 1844, Mary Elizabeth Saylor, daughter of George and Margaret (Reed) Saylor, then of Johnstown, but formerly of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. Before he came to live in Johnstown Mr. Saylor was associated in business with Mr. Schonberg, the Pittsburg iron magnate, at Martinsburg, and came to Johnstown to start furnaces for him in that locality. Later on he became connected with the Bingham line of boats and had charge of the warehouses in Johnstown. He was a man of splendid mental attainments and a firm advocate of education for the youth of the community. Mr. Saylor was instrumental in bringing to Johnstown a competent teacher to take charge of a pay school for the better education of young persons than the common schools of the county then offered, and he personally guaranteed the new master twenty dollars per month for his services. The tuition rate was fifty cents a month, but the attendance was not sufficient to produce the required amount of revenue, and Mr. Saylor paid the difference from his own purse. He was a man of excellent principles and good business qualifications. He was postmaster of Johnstown during President Taylor's administration.
Children of William and Mary Elizabeth (Saylor) Cover: Emma Jane, died at the age of seven years; George Edward, died at the age of four years; Charles Blair, see forward; Alice Jennie Linn, married Henry Steinberger and is now dead, leaving a son, Clyde Steinberger, a banker and oil operator in Indian Territory; William Clayton, married (first) Sarah Scott, married (second) Emma Strayer, is a businessman of Johnstown; Mary Margaret, married Charles B. Hamm, coal operator of Johnstown.
Charles Blair Cover, eldest of the surviving children of William and Mary E. (Saylor) Cover, for may years a prominent figure in business circles in Johnstown, was born at his father's home in Main street in that city, September 23, 1854. He attended the common schools of the town, and at the age of thirteen years began working as clerk for D. W. Harshberger & Co., druggists, and later was employed by C. T. Frazer in his drug store. After about three years he went back to school and acquired a good early education, and was then given a clerkship in the first National Bank of Johnstown. In 1876 he engaged with W. H. Rosensteel as clerk in a tannery business, and gave his attention chiefly to bookkeeping. In 1877 he started a grocery store in Clinton street, Johnstown, and engaged in that business until 1882, then sold out and soon afterward became manager of Johnstown's first paid ball team; this venture was not a financial success, and Mr. Cover made good the season's deficit from his own pocket.
In 1883, in company with his younger brother, under the firm name of Cover Brothers, he engaged in a general livery