William, born February 12, 1816, now married Mary E. Saylor, daughter of George Saylor; widow now living. 6. Amos, born November 13, 1817, married (first) Susan Good, daughter of Christian Good; Married (second) Sarah Varner, of Taylor township; both living. 7. Mary, born November 17, 1818, married Captain J. B. Fite, and is now a widow living in Franklin borough. 8. Daniel, born August 28, 1822, married (first) Catherine Lint; married (second) Mary Belle Beitleman, widow of William Beitleman. 9. Jacob, born June 28, 1824, married Margaret M. Teeter; she is now a widow living in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 10. Elizabeth, born May 8, 1827, married John Sharp; both deceased. 11. Lucinda. born November 24, 1830, married Jonathan Horner; she is now a widow living in Johnstown.
William Cover, the fifth child and third son of Adam Cover and wife, was born on the old home farm on Cover Hill, February 12, 1816, and died at his home on Main street in Johnstown, November 21, 1899. The entire eighty-four years of his life were passed in the vicinity of his birthplace. and from early youth his years were given to hard work. As a boy he attended the first school in Johnstown, walking down from his home on the hill, and when not at school he was at work on the farm. When he reached his majority his father suggested that he start out to make his own way in life, and immediately he went to a Mr. Hoover, near Parkstown, and worked for some time at cutting and piling cord wood; then he came to Johnstown and found employment as ware-houseman in the old Pennsylvania & Ohio warehouse on the canal during the season of boat navigation, and during the winter months he worked at boat caulking at seventy-five cents a day, being an expert workman, while the others got fifty cents a day. At one time he worked on the Portage railroad, but after a year or two at these employments he began wagon making in company with his brother Daniel, building all kinds of farm wagons and also wheelbarrows in large quantities, the latter then being in demand. This business was continued many years with good results to its proprietors, and after the firm was dissolved William continued alone for some time. Later on he took up carpenter and joiner work and followed it to the time of his death. From what has been briefly stated here it will be seen that William Cover was always an industrious, hard-working man. He worked to good purpose and was prosperous in his business undertakings. Sometime during the year 1866, he and Jacob Fend formed a partnership and opened coal mines on Cover Hill and put them into successful operation. Some of then are still in working condition and produce well, and all are owned and controlled by William Cover's descendants. For many years he was a consistent member of the Lutheran church, and was steadfast in the faith in which he had been brought up. In politics he was a member of the Whig, and later the Republican Party and while he never was a political character he served as school director and also