|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||503|
lows; and Captain John M. Jones Post, No. 556, of the Grand Army of the Republic, of Ebensburg.
He married (first) Jennie L. Evans and had two children, now deceased. He married (second) Cassie Williams and had children: Althea, Austin and Aretas, deceased; Edith and Edna, who survived him.
The firm of Barker Bros., of which V. S. Barker was the senior member, has been one of the leading and most progressive business houses in the north of the county for many years. In addition to the large mercantile business conducted by it the firm has large lumber and coal interests in Cambria and adjoining counties. The Ivory Hill Coal Company at Nant-y-glo is owned and operated by the Barker Bros., and the firm, as contractors for others, and for its own use, has built a large number of houses and other buildings there and elsewhere along the Blacklick railroad. V. S. Barker acted as buyer for the firm, and had the reputation among wholesalers of being one of the best posted men in the state in that line.
He was quiet, modest and unobtrusive, and his funeral, which was one of the largest ever held in Ebensburg, attested the high esteem in which he was held in this county.
Florentine H. Barker, second son of Abraham A. and Orsina P. (Little) Barker, was born at Center Lovell, Maine, February 8, 1847. His education was received in the common schools, and at the early age of fifteen years he enlisted in Company E, Fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania, Militia. Two years later he enlisted in Company C, Two Hundred and Ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served with the rank of corporal until the close of the war. He was in active service in the Eighteenth Army Corps under General Benjamin F. Butler, in the Army of the James, and in the Ninth Army Corps under General Parke, in the Army of the Potomac.
At the close of the war, upon his return home, he became associated with his father in the mercantile and lumber business in Ebensburg, the firm conducting business under the firm name of A. A. Barker & Son. It was dissolved in 1880, and later reorganized under the name of Barker Brothers, under which style it has since that time been known. They conduct the largest mercantile business in the northern part of Cambria county, are extensively engaged in the lumber trade, and are large coal operators. They also own large tracts of coal and lumber land in Westmoreland and Indiana counties, Pennsylvania. Independently of the firm, Florentine H. Barker is connected with the F. H. Barker Lumber Company, in which concern he is the leading spirit. He was one of the charter members and is a director of the Northern Cambria Street Railway Company, and is the president of the F. H. Barker Lumber Company of Barnesboro, above mentioned. He was one of the originators of the First National Bank of Ebensburg and has been one of its directors since its organization. He is a stanch supporter