|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||499|
Castle, Delaware, and they had four children: 1. Ella, married George K. Shryock, as previously stated. 2. Harry, the first commander-in-chief of the Sons of Veterans, died unmarried, and is buried at Grand View cemetery; the Sons of Veterans erected a monument to his memory in the spring of 1894. 3. Mary, married George E. Jacobs, of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 4. Georgine, married John K. Frye, of Pittsburg.
GEORGE SHRYOCK KING, born in Hagerstown, Maryland, October 28, 1809, died in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, December 8, 1903. He was a son of John and Ellen Shryock King, of that place. His grandfather King was of German descent, and made several trips to Germany in the interest of establishing the American Independence, and died and was buried at sea.
Mr. King and Eliza McDowell were married at Bedford, Pennsylvania, in 1834. She was a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Churchman) McDowell. Mr. McDowell was the editor of the Bedford Gazette. She died October 22, 1889, in Lewistown, Illinois, and was buried in Johnstown. Their children were: Charles, residing in Missouri; Annie E., wife of Colonel John P. Linton; Edward R., of Philadelphia; Walter, of California; Mary G. Saben, of Leavenworth, Kansas; George M., of Peoria, Illinois; Otho S., of Mason City, Illinois; Newton C., of Havana, Illinois; Alice E., wife of Kenyon S. Fisher, of Paris, Texas.
In 1834 his parents removed to Mercersburg, Franklin county, Pennsylvania. At the age of twelve he became a clerk in a country store, and at fifteen accepted a similar position in Meadville, Pennsylvania. In 1826 he began his mercantile career in Meadville on his own account and was successful. In 1831 he entered the wholesale dry goods house of Michael and Frank Tierman, of Pittsburg. In 1832 he purchased a half interest in a store at Loudon, Franklin county, from Colonel James Patton, a brother-in-law of Colonel Thomas A. Scott, subsequently the railroad manager. About the same time he purchased another store in Mercersburg, and one in McConnellsburg, all of which were prosperous. In 1833 he was influenced by his friend, Judge J. S. Black, then a young lawyer, to establish a store in Somerset. He came there with that view, but on his arrival he ascertained that Johnstown had brighter prospects on account of the opening of the Pennsylvania canal and the Allegheny Portage Railroad system. As he entered the town he heard the “tooting” of the boat horn, and instantly decided “this was the place to do business.”
He immediately purchased the most desirable business and residential locations in the town, which were the northeast corner of Main and Franklin streets, and the southwest corner of Vine and Stonycreek streets, where Mrs. Elizabeth C. Swan now resides. He returned and sold his stores, and in 1834 opened one about No. 511 Main street, which was a part of the corner property. In 1838 he sold this store to John K. and William L.