|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||461|
$55,332. Since 1895, the latter company and its successor, the Cambria Steel Company, have assumed the maintenance, and on June 1, 1907, it had expended in all the large amount of $97,183.68.
The plate on the Washington street front is as follows:
In 1876 about fifty young people who were fond of music met in the school house on Washington street, now the B.& O. station, and organized the “Johnstown Choral Society.” In this building and in the school house on Iron street they held their weekly meetings. The year of its organization being that of the nation's centennial anniversary, the glorious Fourth of July was fittingly celebrated by the rendering of four patriotic selections on “the point,” namely, “Let the Hills and Vales Resound,” “The Star Spangled Banner,” “Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean,” and “America.” The interest was quite unabated for a few years, but at last the Choral Society passed out of existence. T. E. Morgan was leader and J. D. Lewis, accompanist.
The next musical society was the “Germania Quartette Club,” organized November 28, 1882, since which time it has met continuously every Thursday evening. The first officers were: Charles Ruth, president; E. Zang, treasurer, and Chas. Karr, secretary, and the men who comprised the quartette were: First tenor, Joseph Ruth, Erhardt Zang; second tenor, William Steigerwald, Martin Schaefer; first bass, Charles Karr, Thomas Seifert; second bass, Charles Ruth, George Haberkorn. In 1888 the club was incorporated, and in the flood of the following year lost fourteen members. It has constantly appeared before the public in concerts, patriotic celebrations and those for the G. A. R., and has given three concerts for the benefit of the Memorial Hospital. In May, 1907, it was represented at Pittsburgh by a chorus of forty-two voices, who were accorded much praise for their music. Charles Martin is the present leader of the chorus, which numbers forty-five, and they are making preparations to fittingly commemorate their twenty-fifth anniversary this fall.
During the winter of 1884-1885 as the successor to the