|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||459|
winter for eight years, and each section had one or more public lectures delivered during the session. Casts, models and still life were furnished for the free-hand drawing classes which met under the instruction of a teacher who came from Pittsburgh once each week. The Johnstown Art League was organized several years later to hold its meetings there, and altogether it was such a factor in the upbuilding of the people of this community as was scarcely realized even by those who had its welfare so vitally at heart.
The officers of the departments of the institute were as follows: Dean, D.J. Morrell; Recorder, Walter A. Fellows; Chairman' Geology, Mineralogy and Mining Engineering, John Fulton; Chemistry, T.T. Morrell; Metallurgy, James J. Fronheiser; Mechanics and Architecture, D.N. Jones; Sanitary Science, Dr. W. B. Lowman; Agriculture and Horticulture, Albert M. Gregg; Principles of Business, James McMillen; Social Science and Political Economy, Cyrus Elder; English Literature, Rev. Karl Knortz; Mental and Moral Philosophy, L.A. Burr; Local History and Antiquities, John P. Linton; Astronomy, H.A. Boggs; Meteorology, David Peelor.
Within eight years the building had already become too small to meet its requirements, and plans relative to its enlargement were in the hands of the architect when the flood of May 31, 1889, entirely destroyed it.
That fall James McMillen offered the use of his home to the association, and two rooms on the first floor were fitted up and books circulated in February, 1890, with Mrs. Mary L. Yeagley as librarian. Here the library remained until the house at 114 Walnut street was rented for that purpose.
In September, 1889, when Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Carnegie stopped in Johnstown to make themselves personally acquainted with the ravages of the flood, Mr. Carnegie expressed the desire to be permitted to replace the building which had been lost. This desire was later made known in a letter to E.Y. Townsend, president of the Cambria Iron Company. Therefore, on the evening of February 19, 1892, was dedicated the second edifice of the Cambria Library Association, which stands partly on the site of the former and partly on the lot adjoining, which before the flood had been occupied by the Western Union Telegraph office building, and of which that day the company, by John W. Townsend, its vice president, presented the deed to the trustees of the library. At the dedicatory services that