|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|454||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
vate collections, the City Hall, the Masonic Temple and Union League of Philadelphia. George William Childs gave her a commission to paint the portraits of Grant, Sherman and Sheridan which now hang in the Military Academy at West Point.
George W. Storm was born in Johnstown, Feb. 22, 1831, and now resides in Harrisburg. In 1847 he attended a military school in the latter city, and two years thereafter entered the U.S. navy, where he served for three years. He was on the flagship “Independence,” flying the broad pennant of Commodore Charles Morgan. In 1854, returning to Johnstown, he entered the draughting room of the Cambria Iron Company, and became so interested in drawing that he soon began the study of art along the lines of landscape and portrait painting. Many beautiful scenes in Cambria county have been pictured under the brush of Mr. Storm, especially those along the Paint creek, which was the joy of artists before the developing of the coal industry destroyed the beauty of that charming locality. Of the latter he has many attractive canvasses, several of which hang in the departments at Harrisburg. Among them are Gov. Hastings, Lieut.-Govs. Latta, Watres, Lyon and Gobin, and Gen. Sheridan and Gen. Gregg. The two illustrations in the chapter on the Pennsylvania canal –– “the old Weigh Lock” and “the First Aqueduct” –– are Mr. Storm's. They are the only pictures in existence which portray that section of Johnstown as it was prior to the construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and are a faithful reproduction of the Laurel Hill Gap and Green Hill in 1845. The site of the furnace on the west side of the aqueduct was opposite the present railroad depot.
Probably the oldest and most valuable painting in the city of Johnstown is the one attributed to the great Flemish master, Peter Paul Rubens, and owned by Mrs. Johanna Glasow, of Market street. About seventy years ago this picture came into the possession of Louis Hausedorfer, an uncle of Mrs. Glasow residing in Germany, who purchased it at the bankrupt sale of a very wealthy family in Frankfort to whom it had belonged. While Rev. and Mrs. Glasow were visiting their relatives in Germany in 1894, this oil painting was given to them by the cousin to whom it then had descended, and was brought to this country, where it was hung in Rev. Glasow's home. Subsequently, it was taken to the Metropolitan Museum, New York, where an English critic pronounced it a Rubens and desired to purchase it.