You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

infantry out. The enemy retreated, and Custer (Capt. Blough), with a small body of infantry led by Gen. Warren in person, followed until long after dark. It was a total rout for Pickett, he losing over 5,000 men captured, with 6 guns and 11 colors. Sheridan lost 830 men, of whom 634 were of Warren's corps. The enemy's entire loss was 8,500.
    Just before the assault was made, Gen. Chamberlain rode up to Maj. Glenn, who was commanding the 198th Regiment, and said: "Major, if you will take those works you shall have a colonel's commission." The major turned to his men, "Boys, will you follow me?" Their reply was a wild shout. Away they dashed with colors flying, and reached the breastworks, where a severe struggle ensued. Maj. Glenn received the brevet commission, but lost his life. As he was seizing one of the enemy's colors from the hands of the bearer, he fell mortally wounded, and died at City Point, April 4.
    Because he did not march more promptly and did not show sufficient spirit in action, Gen. Sheridan was dissatisfied with Gen. Warren's movements, and relieved him. Whereupon Gen. Charles Griffin succeeded in the command of the 5th Corps.
    About 11 a. m., April 2, the 198th Regiment with the 5th Corps and Sheridan's cavalry marched eastward on the White Oak road and defeated the enemy at Claiborne's road. Sheridan followed northward across Hatcher's Run to Sutherland's depot on the South Side railroad, when Miles' division, which had been with Sheridan, returned to the 2d Corps. The march continued late into the night, much of it on the double-quick, through dense thickets and swamps, with but a few short halts.
    The victory at Five Forks caused President Davis to flee from Richmond, and Gen. Lee to give up Petersburg. His army marched out on the west side of the city on the night of April 2d, between 8 and 3 o'clock, to assemble at Amelia Court House. On April 3d, at 4:45 a. m., Gen. Willcox's 9th Corps (Capt. S. W. Davis) entered the city of Petersburg and took possession. On the same day Richmond was formally surrendered to Gen. Weitzel, who entered it from the north side of the James river.
    In the first assault on Petersburg, April 2d, Gen. Grant lost 3,361 and Gen. Lee's estimated loss was 3,000.
    The killed and wounded in Company F, 198th Pennsylvania:
    Hatcher's Run October 27, 1864: Daniel T. Stineman, private killed.

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 26 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors