You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

Gen. Griffin rode up to Gen. Chamberlain in unusual excitement and Warren said: “General, will you save the honor of the 5th Corps? Form your own plans and nobody shall interfere with you.”
    The water in the run was from three to four feet deep, flowing over a soft muddy bottom. Warren began to replace the bridge over the branch, but Col. Glenn, with the right wing of the 198th Regiment (Capt. Stackhouse), dashed through the stream, driving the enemy's skirmishers. The enemy was then driven back a mile or more to the field where the attack had been made on Ayres and Crawford in the morning. The enemy was intrenched. Chamberlain formed his line and gave the command to make an assault. The line moved out into the field and when it came in full view the enemy poured in a terrific fire of artillery and musketry, causing it to waver for a moment. Then, with every color flying and the officers leading, a dash was made across the field midst the volleys of destruction; the men were falling at every step but the line kept intact until the breastworks were reached; with a bound the boys were over it and captured almost an entire regiment.
    Private Augustus Zeiber of Co. D, of the 198th Regiment, captured the battle flag of the 56th Virginia. Gen. Chamberlain declined to accept it, and gave it to the gallant Zeiber. This regiment lost about 75 men and the 5th Corps 1,433 in the assault.
    Gen. Sheridan with Custer's division (Capt. Blough) held this position until morning, when he found that the enemy had withdrawn during the night. At 5 p. m. Warren sent Bartlett's brigade towards the Dive Forks and at dark it had reached the house of Dr. Boisseau at the Gravelly Run crossing in the rear of the enemy.
    About 10 p. m. on the 31st Warren ordered Ayres' division to join Sheridan, but the necessity of rebuilding a bridge over Gravelly Run prevented its reaching its position at J. M. Brook's house until daylight. The enemy was then falling back towards Five Forks. About 5 a. m., April 1, the 198th Regiment (Capt. Stackhouse) moved with Griffin's division in a southwesterly direction to Crumps, near the crossing of Gravelly Run.
    On the 30th Gen. Humphreys' 2d Corps (Capt. Fite) connected with the 24th Corps on the right and on the left with Warren's 5th Corps. Its right was at the Crow house and its left on the Boydton road near the house of Mrs. Rainey. On the 31st it relieved a part of the line held by Warren (Capt. Stack-

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 26 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors