You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

fordings, with instructions to the army to assemble at or near Robertson's Tavern on the Orange turnpike. The weather was bitterly cold and the roads were in a bad condition. Part of Meade's forces arrived at Robertson's but the main portion of his army came in contact with Lee at Mine Run three miles west of the tavern. There was some fighting on the 27th and 28th which was not severe. On the night of the 29th, preparations were completed for a general engagement. Gen. Warren was located on Meade's extreme left line of battle. The contest was to begin on the morning of the 30th and just about the time fixed for the attack Warren advised Meade against it, inasmuch as he could not succeed. Meade wired Gen. Sedgwick, Sykes and Wright who were on the right and center to “Suspend the attack until further orders.”
    Cambria county had three companies in this movement, two from Johnstown and one from Ebensburg, namely:

Captain. Co. Regiment. Brigade. Division. Corps.
Daniel D. Jones A 11th Pa. Reserves
Col. S. M. Jackson
W. McCandless
S.W. Crawford
Geo. Sykes.
David Hamilton K 18th Pa. Cav.
T. M. Bryan, Jr.
H. E. Davies, Jr.
Geo. A. Custer.
John B. Fite D 115th Pa. Inf.
John P. Dunne
Gershom Mott
Henry Prince
D. B. Birney.

    Very shortly after the order to suspend action was received, the corps commander met Meade at his headquarters and found him very angry at the failure of Warren. Meade left Sedgwick in command of the army and started to the extreme left to see Warren. On his return he was still in a very bad humor. He asked Sedgwick what his opinion of success would be on the right. Sedgwick had been sanguine in the morning but Lee had constructed formidable works during the day which caused Sedgwick to hesitate to approve of an assault at that time.
    Gen. Mead then took the army back to the old camping ground near Culpeper on the north side of the Rapidan river and went into winter quarters. Some of the men dug caves and others built shelter tents. The winter was spent in such festivities as troops could devise, balls, horse races, cock-fights and greased pigs and poles. The long rest brought the army into a superb condition. Gen. Grant, who now had command of all the armies, reached Culpeper on March 26, 1864, and made his headquarters there. The army was re-organized into three corps: The 2d under Gen. Hancock; the 5th under Gen. Warren,

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 25 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors