You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

batteries were falling thick and fast around and exploding over us.
    The river being safely crossed, I advanced my regiment, as commanded by you, through Fredericksburg, crossing the canal or race just outside of the city, and filing to the left, where, under cover of a small hill, line of battle was formed. The regiment was placed on the right, and in the advance, the fourth battalion (Col. Allen's, 155th Pa.) being on our left. After the line of battle was formed, knapsacks were unslung, bayonets fixed, and we charged up and over hill, about 250 yards, where we came upon a line of troops lying down. My men, not knowing that they should pass over this line, covered themselves as well as they could in the rear of this line.
    The troops in front neither advancing nor retiring, and as a second charge was ordered from this point, I passed over them and charged to the right of and past the brick house, to within 50 yards of the stone wall, and to the left of the house, to the crest of the hill.
    The positions were held for one hour under a most terrific fire from the enemy's infantry and artillery, until it became dusk, when I was ordered to withdraw, which I did, and reformed line of battle on right of road, and a little in rear of where our line for the charge had been formed. Here we remained for a time, only sending out squads from companies to scour the field and bring off our killed and wounded.
    About 3 a. m. on Sunday morning, the 14th instant, the regiment was marched into the city, and near to the river, where we were furnished with a fresh supply of ammunition, and again marched on the field, where, under cover of a small hill, though still exposed to the enemy's fire, we remained until about 7 o'clock in the evening, when we were ordered into Fredericksburg. We remained in the city until Tuesday morning, when we crossed the Rappahannock over the lower pontoon bridge and returned to this camp.
    The loss in the regiment, as already reported, is 3 commissioned officers killed and 8 wounded; 15 enlisted men killed, 130 wounded, and 27 missing, some of whom are known to be wounded, and will likely be found in some of the hospitals. The balance are, no doubt, killed, making a total loss in the regiment of 183.
    Among the many whose loss the regiment now mourn, and who deserve mention here, are Adjutant James C. Noon, a good man, brave and faithful soldier, who fell while bravely urging the men to the fatal charge; Capt. John M. Jones and First Lieut. W. A. Scott, both of Company F (Noon, Jones and Scott were from Ebensburg), who were nobly leading their command, and “among the foremost fighting, fell.”
    The wounds of Capt. Shrock, of Co. D; Capt. Demaree, of Co. I; Capt. Sheibley, of Co. G; Capt. Tressler, of Co. H; Act-

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 24 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors