You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

to advance his pickets. * * * They were repulsed. Pending this, I deployed the balance of the First Brigade (Co. D, 110th P.V.) near the junction of the cross-roads of the New Market, Malvern Hill and Long Bridge roads, where the attack was most persistent. * * * At 6:30 p.m. Gen Hancock directed that a regiment he sent to the woods near the bridge-head; the 11th New Jersey sent. Soon after orders received from the same source to send the balance of the brigade (Co. D, 110th P.V.) to re-enforce and hold the position at all hazards. At 8:40 p.m. received orders that on being relieved I should proceed with my division to the vicinity of Petersburg and report to Gen. Meade. At 10 p.m. crossed the James River on the lower pontoon bridge. Massed on the neck waiting for my pickets.
    Friday, Aug. 19. Resumed the march at 1 a.m., crossed the Appomattox at 3 a.m. and reported to Major General Humphreys (Chief of Staff) at 7 a.m. There, received orders to relieve the 9th Corps in the intrenchments, which was done at 11 a.m., the right resting on the 18th Corps near and across the Petersburg and Norfolk railroad, the left connecting with the pickets of the 5th Corps at the Strong House. * * * All my officers and men behaved in a commendable manner. My brigade commanders were active and attentive * * * particularly Brig. General R. de Trobriand * * * who deserves honorable mention as a brave and efficient officer.
    *    *    *    *    *
    Saturday, Oct. 1, 1864. Having been relieved from the forts and rifle-pits extending from Fort Morton to Fort Alexander Hays during the night before, the division was massed near the trestle bridge and in the woods in the rear of the Avery house. About 12 m. I received orders, that I, with my division (Co. D, 110th P.V.), should take the cars to the Yellow House, or General Warren's headquarters, reporting to Maj-Gen. Parke. At 1 p.m., the cars being ready, I commenced to embark at two points, viz: Hancock's Station and near the trestle bridge. There were three trains and each train made three trips. The head of the column reported to General Parke at 2:30 p.m.; the rear was up at 5 p.m. * * * My division was massed in the rear of Peebles' house and remained until the next morning.
    Sunday, Oct. 2. Under orders, my division was ready to move at 5:30 a.m. * * * I was directed to form on the left of General Willcox's division of the 9th Corps, and to advance with the division. At 8 a.m., I deployed the Second Brigade, with the Third closely following. The First Brigade (Co. D, 110th P.V.) was held in reserve, with instructions to throw out flankers and to have a regiment at the point where the roads forked near the Clements house. Advancing a mile,

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 22 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors