You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

    I here halted and threw out the 7th New Jersey as pickets to Mitchell's Ford, supported by the 115th Pennsylvania (Co. D) and a portion of the 8th New Jersey on the road leading to Raccoon Ford. to prevent surprise in that direction.
    My brigade should have been relieved by a brigade of the 6th corps, but, through some misunderstanding, I was left there until the evening of the 27th ultimo, after I had sent a staff officer to the corps commander asking for instructions.
    Friday, November 27, 1863. The enemy had a strong picket on the opposite side of the Rapidan, and on the afternoon of the 27th formed a line of battle, consisting of about one regiment, during the time that the Third Corps was engaged. I withdrew my pickets after dark and marched to rejoin the division, taking the road to Germanna Ford, crossing the river (Rapidan) at that place (the bridges at Jacob's Mills having been taken up), marched by the plank road and turnpike toward Robertson's Tavern, and bivouacked at 2 a.m. on the 28th.
    Saturday, November 28, 1863. At 6 a.m. resumed the march and joined the division. At about 9 a.m. marched with division and bivouacked for the night near Robertson's Tavern.
    Sunday, November 29, 1863. At 8:30 a.m. started with the division on a reconnaissance towards the enemy's right to open communication with the First Corps, which was marching on the Fredericksburg and Gordonsville plank road, which was readily accomplished. After which I bivouacked for the night on the right of the Second Corps.
    Monday, November 30, 1863. At 2 a.m. started with the division to the south side of the plank road and went into position on the right of Webb's division, second corps, my brigade, occupying the third line. At this time the 6th New Jersey was deployed to cover the front of the division. I stayed in this position until dusk, when ordered to rejoin the Third Corps, and took a position on the left of the Third Division, where I bivouacked and remained until 6 p.m. of the 1st instant.
    Tuesday, December 1, 1863. At 6 o'clock in the evening we started for the Rapidan, crossing at Culpeper Ford at 3 a.m. on the 2d instant. Halted on this side and resumed the march at 9 a.m., reaching this camp at 4 p.m. * * *

    Capt. John B. Fite's Company D, 115th Pennsylvania Volunteers, transferred to 110th Pennsylvania Volunteers as Company D, June 22, 1864.
    On account of the casualties in the 115th Pennsylvania, and the expiration of service of many, that regiment was consolidated with the 110th.
    The remaining forty-six members of Co. D, transferred to

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 21 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors