You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

advanced through a dense wood, where the enemy made a stand. The 2d New York and the 8th New Jersey were on the left of the railroad, the 5th New Jersey on the right - General Hooker taking the 6th and 7th New Jersey on the left. The 2d New York and 8th New Jersey advanced through the woods and charged the enemy, driving him about 200 yards into a thick woods, where they again made a stand and gave battle.
    I sent in the 115th Pennsylvania after an hour's fighting to relieve the 2d New York, and they held their ground until the retreat of the enemy. After making the charge with the 2d New York and 8th New Jersey, Colonel Taylor, with the Second Brigade, came in and took position on my left, placing two regiments on my right parallel to my line, to engage the enemy on the railroad. After the retreat of the enemy we formed line of battle on the right of the railroad to support General Grover, who was then in pursuit of him. Here we remained until ordered by General Hooker to cross the creek, where we bivouacked for the night.
    On Thursday afternoon, August 28, at 2 o'clock, we were ordered to march in the direction of Manassas, but did not halt for the night until we arrived at Bull Run Creek.
    Second Bull Run, Friday, August 29th (30th), 1862. At 2 o'clock Friday morning, August 29, I received orders to march at 3 a.m. and support General Kearny, who was in pursuit of the enemy. A march of 10 miles brought us to the Bull Run battle-field. About 11 a.m. we were ordered into position to support a battery in front of the woods, where the enemy was engaged with General Sigel's troops. Remaining about one hour in that position, was ordered to send into the woods and relieve two regiments of General Sigel's corps. I sent in the 6th and 7th New Jersey Volunteers. Afterward received orders to take the balance of the brigade into the woods, which I did at about 2 p.m. Here I at once engaged the enemy and fought him for a space of two hours, holding my position until our ammunition was all expended.
    About 4 o'clock we were relieved by General Reno and Colonel Taylor, but did not reach the skirt of the woods before a retreat was made and the woods occupied by the enemy. When I arrived out of the woods I was ordered to march about half a mile to the rear and bivouac for the night.
    Saturday, August 30, 1862. During Saturday, we remained in that position until 2 p.m., when I was ordered by General Hooker to march my brigade out on the road in pursuit of the enemy. After marching out on the road I was ordered to halt and await further orders. I retained this position until 4 p.m. and was then ordered to the front to support a battery, my brigade (Co. D, 115th P.V.) to constitute the second line. Here I remained under a heavy cross-fire of the enemy until ordered by General Hooker to march to and support a battery on the

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 21 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors