You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

    Sunday, 12. The 2d and 3d Divisions re-embarked at White House and rejoined the corps.
    General Ransom captures Col. White.
May 23, 1864
    * * The advance was ordered about 4:45 o'clock. Very quickly the strong line of our skirmishers became engaged and the enemy pursued as vigorously as possible across the open field in front and to the right of Willis' house, and after a little over one hour's stubborn fighting the enemy's rifle pits and breast works were carried about 100 yards inside the woods. * *
    In taking the breast-works, 5 stands of colors, 1 brigadier-general (Col. Richard White) and about 400 prisoners were captured. * *
    Col. Richard White was exchanged September 12, 1864.
    * * Medals of honor were awarded for distinguished services under Resolution of Congress, No. 43, approved July 12, 1862, and Section 6 of Act of Congress, approved March 3, 1863: * * * “To Augustine Flanagan, for gallantry in action at Chaffin's Farm, near Richmond, Va., on Thursday, September 29, 1864.” * * *
    Gen. Benjamin F. Butler thus reported to Secretary Stanton, the gallantry of Sargeant Flanagan, Company A, 55th Pennsylvania:
    “ * * Augustine Flanagan, * * color bearer, conspicuous for bravery in charging on the enemy's works on the 29th of September, rushing forward with his colors, waving them and calling upon his men to follow, until he fell severely wounded. He is recommended to the Secretary of War for a medal.”
    Capt. Geo. H. Hill, commanding 55th Pennsylvania, Companies A and C (4th Brigade, 1st Division, 24th Army Corps, 55th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers), made the following report:
In the Field, Va., April 13, 1865.
    * * of the operations of this regiment since leaving Deep Bottom, Va. * * *
    Monday, March 27. We took up the line of march from brigade headquarters, at Deep Bottom, Va., at 8 p.m.; crossed the James and Appomattox rivers, and continued the march in the direction of Humphrey's Station, where we arrived at 10 a.m. March 29, and went into camp.
    Thursday, March 30. Capt. Hammer, who was in charge of our picket line, advanced it through an open field and under a heavy fire, establishing himself on a new line close to the en-

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 21 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors