on March 23 returned to South Carolina with 1,250 men. On April 12 they embarked for Gloucester Point, opposite Yorktown, Virginia, and upon their arrival were assigned to the Third Brigade, of the Third Division of the Tenth Corps, under Gen. Gilmore, Col. Richard White commanding. The division became a part of Maj.-Gen B. F. Butler's Army of the James, and was located at Bermuda Hundred. It was in all the active service of that army. On May 16, 1864, Col. White and most of the men of Companies A and C were captured at Drewry's Bluff, which capture is hereinafter given in more detail. Many of our troops died while in Andersonville, Salisbury and Millen prisons. The regiment was at Cold Harbor, Petersburg Mine Explosion, and in the pursuit of Lee after his evacuation of Petersburg on April 2, 1865, where it did good service. The following is substantially its record for forty-two months, which is very good:
- Col. Richard White; must. out March 23, 1865; expiration of term.
- Lieut.-Col. Frank T. Bennett; must. out Dec 4, 1864; expiration of term.
- Lieut. Col James Metzger; prom from capt. Co. C May 10 1865; must. out with regiment, Aug. 30, 1865.
- Maj. John H. Filler; com. lieut.-col. Dec. 21, 1864, and col. March 25, 1865; not must.; must. out March 23, 1865; expiration of term.
- Maj. George H. Hill; prom. from capt. Co. E May 3, 1865; must. out with regiment Aug. 30, 1865.
- Adjutant James Metzger; prom. from 1st lieut. Co. D to adjutant Jan. 1, 1862; to capt. Co. C, Nov 25, 1862.
- Adjutant Solomon S. Metzger; prom. from 2d lieut. to 1st lieut. Co. D Jan 1, 1862; to adjutant Nov. 23, 1862; to capt. Co. D Aug 3, 1863.
- Adjutant John Gotshall; prom. from 1st lieut. Co. G Aug 3, 1863; com. capt. Co. G, Dec. 1, 1864, and capt. Co. C, May 10, 1865; not must.; must. out with regiment Aug. 30 1865.
- Quartermaster Frederick M. George; must. out Dec. 14, 1864; expiration of term.
- Quartermaster James Driskel; prom. from 1st sergt. Co. A Feb. 14, 1865; must. out with regiment Aug. 30, 1865; Veteran.
- Surg. David Merritt; resigned Aug. 16, 1864.
- Surg. Jer. B. Brandt; prom. from assist. surg. 110th P. V., Sept. 17, 1864; must. out with regiment Aug 30, 1865.
- Assist. Surg. J. Sylv'r Ramsey; prom. to surg. 130th P. V. Oct. 14, 1862.
COMPANY A, CAPT. JAMES CARROLL
Recruited in Cambria county, at Lilly; mustered in, November, 1861; mustered out, August 30, 1865.
- Capt. James Carroll; disch. April 16, 1863.
- Capt. David F. Fox; prom. from 1st lieut. May 15, 1863; resigned Feb. 15, 1865, residing in the west.
- Capt. Patrick F. Hodge; prom. from sergt. to 1st sergt, Jan. 1, 1863; to 2d lieut. Aug. 8, 1863; to 1st lieut. Nov. 9, 1863; to capt. April 1, 1865; must. out with company Aug. 30, 1865. Living in Wilkinsburg.
- 1st Lieut. John Lynch; prom. from q.m. sergt. to 2d lieut. Nov. 8, 1863; to 1st lieut. April 1, 1865; must. out with company Aug. 30, 1865.
- 2d Lieut. John Porter; disch. on surg. cert. Nov. 1, 1862.
- 2d Lieut. Abram Olstead; prom. from 1st sergt to 2d lieut. Jan 23, 1863; com. 1st lieut. April 16, 1863; not must.; resigned Aug. 29, 1863.
- 2d Lieut. Celestine McMullen; prom. from corp. to sergt.; to 1st sergt. Feb. 15, 1865; to 2d lieut. April 29, 1865; must. out with company Aug. 30, 1865; Veteran.