You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

the men, there is a general expression of satisfaction of the work that was performed during this important expedition.
    Since going into camp much sickness prevails among both officers and men, the sanitary condition of the regiment being worse now then I ever knew it to be since entering the service, more than one-quarter of the regiment being unfit for duty.
    Respectfully, your obedient servant,
Major, Commanding, Fifty-fourth
Pennsylvania Vol. Infantry.
    Col. J. M. Campbell, Commanding Third Brigade, Second Division.
Camp Piatt, W. Va., July 2, 1864.
    Captain: I would most respectfully submit the following report of the part taken by the Third Brigade in the recent operations of the division on the march from Staunton to Lynchburg, and from Lynchburg to this place:
    On the 9th day of June I was ordered to the command of the brigade, and on the following morning the command left Staunton, by was of Middlebrook and Brownsburg, for Lexington, skirmishing with the enemy the greater part of the way.
    We arrived in the immediate vicinity of Lexington on the 11th about noon, where the enemy made a stand, but were soon driven from the town, which was immediately occupied by our troops.
    We remained in camp at Lexington until the morning of the 14th, when we left that place for Liberty, Bedford county, by way of Buchanan and Peaks of Otter, occasionally encountering the enemy's skirmishers.
    We arrived at Liberty at 9 a. m. on the 16th and immediately proceeded to destroy the shops and tear up the track of the Virginia and East Tennessee Railroad as far as the south fork of Otter river, about eight miles east from Liberty.
    On the 17th we left the south fork of Otter river and marched in the direction of Lynchburg and arrived within four miles of that place at 5 p. m., where we encountered the enemy in force. My brigade was soon ordered to the front and formed in line of battle on the left, and at right angle with the turnpike. After forming, we advanced upon the enemy, driving them into their intrenchments, distant about one mile and a half from where we first encountered their line. Darkness having overtaken us, we ceased to press the enemy farther and merely maintained the position we had gained. We were relieved about 9 p. m. by the First Brigade of the First Division (commanded by Col. George D. Wells) and fell back about 400 yards, where we remained for the night.
    On the morning of the 18th we were ordered to move to the right for the purpose of flanking the enemy's position, but

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 19 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors