You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

City and to this end will locate the troops according to instructions, which he will from time to time receive from these headquarters.
    Reports, returns and other official communications from the regiments or other organizations in or about this City will be sent, however, as heretofore to Brigade Head Quarters.
    By order of Maj. Gen. F. SIGEL,
Assistant Adjutant General.

    On April 23, 1864, Maj. Gen. Sigel relieved Col. J. M. Campbell and Lieut. W. H. Rose, 54th Pa. Vols., from these duties in order that they might rejoin their regiment then under orders to move. The regiment, excepting that portion on the railroad east of Cumberland, took its departure on the B. & O. R. R. Sunday morning, April 24. The other companies followed as soon as practicable.

Headquarters Military Commander,
Cumberland, Md., April 15, 1864
    General Orders No. 1.
    1. In pursuance to special orders, No. 74, dated Headquarters Department of West Virginia, April 12, 1864, I hereby assume military command of this city and vicinity. * * *
    3. First Lieutenant and Adjutant W. H. Rose, Forty-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, having been ordered to report, is hereby assigned to duty as adjutant at their headquarters.
Colonel and Military Commander.

Headquarters Department of West Virginia,
Cumberland, Md., April 2, 1864
    Special Orders No. 65.
    1. Col. J. M. Campbell, 54th Pennsylvania Volunteers, having reported at these headquarters after the completion of the duties to which he was assigned by Special Orders No. 88, current series, War Department, will resume command of the First Brigade, Second Division, relieving Colonel McCaslin, Fifteenth West Virginia, who will resume command of his regiment. * *
    By order of Maj. General F. SIGEL.
T. MELVIN, A. A. General.

Water Station, April 11, 1864, 12 m.
    Lieut. W. H. Rose, Acting Assistant Adjutant General:
    Two men wounded Wesby and Roney, Company K. Patrol was attacked at Michael's Gap, 2 miles above mouth of Cacapon, by about 30 men, 20 minutes before express passed from the west. Pickets from Paw Paw were driven in at 11 o'clock by about 20 men, as reported by pickets. Everything

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 19 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors