You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

    I will only add that forage and rations were to be had at this post and could have been forwarded to any point on the railroad, if requested, and that the regimental quarter-master at this post has Captain Langholz's requisition and receipt for forage and rations up to the 4th instant. On Tuesday evening, the 7th instant, I received orders from R. B. Marcy, chief of staff to withdraw my command to Hancock. The order was countermanded by General Averell on Wednesday, the 8th instant, as it appeared to have been issued upon a misapprehension of facts telegraphed by General B. F. Kelley, and I now occupy the same positions on the road as when I last reported to you, except the posts at Paw Paw and Little Cacapon, which are vacant.
    The capture of Companies B and K, of my regiment, has so weakened my command that I have not men enough to guard the road properly, and the Companies, in their isolated positions, can offer but a feeble resistance to the enemy, when attacked by a large force.
    Captain John P. Suter, of Company A, Fifty-fourth Regiment, stationed at South Branch immediately proceeded, on Sunday, 5th instant, to repair the telegraph wire, which was completed on Sunday night. The railroad bridge at Little Cacapon has been repaired, and trains will run today, both the telegraph and railroad being in working order as far east as Cherry Run.

    After the battle of Antietam Gen. McClellan remained on the north side of the Potomac river, and did not pursue Lee, who was in the vicinity of Winchester, Virginia. It was for this cause that Mr. Lincoln relieved McClellan and appointed Gen. Burnside commander of the Army of the Potomac.
    It will be observed by the correspondence in relation to Stuart's dash that Gen. Lee desired him to make it as secretly as possible, and to avoid detection he was directed to cross the Potomac above the regular fording at Williamsport. This precaution was necessary to get around McClellan, who was with his army near that locality.
    On October 10, Col. Linton's headquarters were at Back Creek, near Cherry Run, Maryland. He had sent Lieut. Allen L. Boyle, of Capt. Graham's company, on a scouting expedition, who returned that day with the information that about 3,000 cavalrymen had crossed the Potomac at McCoy's fording that morning, with the intention of invading Pennsylvania. Col. Linton at once gave the news to Col. Campbell, who immediately had it forwarded to Gen. McClellan, which was the first information he or the federal government had that a raid was con-

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 19 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors