You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

toward the right, unmasking us, when we were deployed from column into line which was promptly executed, and took our position on the left of the 1st W. Va., and on the extreme left of the line of battle.
    General Sigel was confident of his ability to drive the opposing forces from the field; the left flank was protected by cavalry, with Moore's brigade in support on the right and a brass battery. When the battle opened the cavalry in passing to the rear threw the infantry into confusion, caused by the manner in which the maneuver was made. The enemy moved forward with a long line overlapping both flanks of Sigel's force. The artillery could not stay the rebel columns; for some time the battle raged with great fury, but it got too hot, as the enemy had the superior numbers, and at length prevailed, and the Union line was forced to retreat, the 54th returning the fire of the enemy until he ceased to pursue us.
    We crossed the river and burnt the bridge. Col. John P. Linton was wounded, but remained on the field encouraging the men until the final close of the action. Capt. Graham was also wounded and left on the field; he was shot in the eye. Capt. William B. Bonacker, and Lieut. Benjamin Anderson, in addition to other officers, and men were wounded. Company A lost 23 killed, wounded and missing; the loss to the regiment was 174, with 30 more slightly wounded. In my judgment we were under fire about fouty minutes. We marched all night.
    May 16. Camped at Cedar Creek.
    May 17. Moved across the river east of Strasburg.
    May 21. Our regiment moved to the west side of the river, and Gen. Hunter took command of the Army of the Valley.
    May 22. Began to reorganize for another move up the valley.
    May 24. Drew eleven days' rations and 110 pounds of ammunition.
    May 25. Still in camp making a study of how to carry our pack.
    May 26. Gen. Hunter began his advance up the valley; the enemy met us on the old ground, and it was he that had to retreat this time.
    May 27. In camp all day.
    May 28. We had inspection. Orders given to march at 5 a. m. the next morning.
    May 29. Sunday, we marched all day and camped at Mount Jackson for the night.
    May 30. Our regiment went on a foraging tour.
    May 31. Raw wheat was issued to us for rations.
    June 1, 1864. Company drill today.
    June 2. Left camp at 5 a. m. and marched all day; arrived at Harrisonburg at 4 p. m. During the day the rear of the

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 17 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors