You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

From this time nothing unusual occurred; ordinary camp life and heavy picket duty.
    Jan. 4. Received marching orders at 6 p. m.; left at 10 p. m.; detailed for wagon guard; our move was slow; rough roads, deep snow, cold and stormy; the entire force passed us. We arrived at Green Spring run at 3 a. m.
    Jan. 5. We were loaded on gondola cars and reached Cumberland at 8 a. m. and quartered there.
    Jan. 9. Companies A, E, F and K were deployed along the B. & O. R. R.; Co. F at Patterson's Creek; E at Green Spring Run; A at South Branch, and K at Little Cacapon Creek; others remained in Cumberland, which was headquarters for the regiment and the entire command.
    Feb. 1, 1864. Co. F was captured at Patterson's Creek by General Rosser. These companies were separated from the regiment until May 3d, when we started on the Lynchburg raid.
    May 3, 1864. Left at 8 p. m.; arrived at Martinsburg after daylight; remained here until 5th to guard a provision train to Winchester.
    May 5. Marched at 7 a. m. on the Winchester pike for three miles, then laid over until 8 p. m. Arrived at Bunker Hill at 12 midnight.
    May 6. Left at 7 a. m., arrived at Winchester at 2 p. m., and company joined the regiment. Marched to Cedar Creek and remained there all night.
    May 8. Order to march given; we drew shelter tents; sang “I go and fight mit Sigel.”
    May 9. Broke camp at 7 a. m. and began the march. Camped for the night four miles from Strasburg, near Cedar Creek, Va.
    May 10. In camp; had regiment drill at 2 p. m.
    May 11. Took up line of march at 7 a. m.; crossed Cedar Creek at 9 a. m. Had crackers and coffee four miles beyond Strasburg; camped for the night within two miles of Woodstock.
    May 12. Still in camp; it rained very hard.
    May 14. In same camp; order given to march at 4 a. m. next morning; raining and very muddy.
    May 15. A day long to be remembered by those participating in the battle of New Market. We had marched from Woodstock and halted for a few minutes at Mount Jackson; the boys hustled to make coffee, when orders came to march rapidly toward New Market. We hastily formed with tin cups in our hands and the coffee partly made, and marched. We did not get our coffee, as orders came thick and fast, like this: “Colonel, hurry up your men;” then, “double quick.” We were at once deployed into columns by divisions to the left and in rear of the 12th W. Va., which regiment shortly moved

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 17 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors