You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

neck, and two pickets were captured between Green Spring and Springfield.
    April 7, 1863. Our wagon train went in the direction of Moorefield to bring in forage; it was guarded by the Ringgold Cavalry. The train was attacked and part of it captured, including five cavalrymen and one lieutenant; three companies of infantry ordered out to reinforce the battalion of cavalry, which fought the enemy all day; most of the time in close quarters with revolver and saber our men were largely outnumbered. At 6 p. m. the remainder of the 54th and 1st W. Va. Infantry were ordered out; arrived at the scene of action in the night; it had been raining for some time and we waded the streams; laid down in line; in the morning our wet clothing stuck fast to the frozen ground; it was cold and frosty.
    April 8. We started in pursuit of the rebs, who in the meantime had retreated and crossed the river; after shelling their camp we returned to where we had camped the previous night; our men being so badly used up. Col. Campbell sent for the wagon train and hauled those who could not walk.
    April 9. Report came of a large force moving to make an attack on us; slept on our arms all night; everything quiet.
    April 26. Quartermaster Gordon of the 54th Penna. and the Quartermaster of the 1st W. Va., a cavalry lieutenant and a doctor, were captured.
    May 3, 1863. The 1st W. Va. went out on a scouting expedition.
    May 11. The mail carrier was shot between Romney and Springfield; the mail was captured and four of the escort were taken prisoners.
    May 16. The 1st W. Va. regiment returned from the scout; nothing unusual happened, but plenty of duty and continual scouting to keep the enemy away from us.
    June 12, 1863. Received marching orders.
    June 13. General Milroy reported fighting at Winchester, Va.
    June 14. We took up our march about 3 p. m.; the night was very dark; midway between Mechanics' Gap and New Creek I fell and fractured my knee-cap; my leg was stiff and very painful; walked the remainder of the way, hopping on one foot and the support of my gun.
    June 15. Came up to the regiment, which was within 2 miles of New Creek; laid over until 10 a.m. When we arrived at New Creek I was sent to the hospital.
    June 16. Our regiment moved about 2 miles from New Creek, and located on a high hill.
    June 23. Returned to the regiment; it took me all day to get there.
    June 30. The entire command under marching orders. General Lee's whole force crossed the Potomac; I was sent to

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 17 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors