You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

at Savage Station, by reason of Gen. McClellan having ordered it to move on the right of the 29th to occupy Malvern Hill and hold it until the army could get there, where it was his intention that the great conflict should take place. The corps started before dark, but did not reach its destination until 9 a. m. on the 30th, although the distance was only five miles. The night was dark, and the swampy ground covered with underbrush bewildered the guide so that much time was lost.
    The contest at Savage Station was principally with Sumner's and Franklin's troops and was severe, but Lee was repulsed.
    Gen. McClellan continued to fall back towards the James river, where he could have the assistance of the Union gunboats. The two hundred men who had escaped were led by Col. Dan. S. Porter, of Indiana, who was then a captain, as all the field officers were in the hands of the enemy. Almost the entire Company A were prisoners.
    On Sunday, June 29, McClellan withdrew from the north to south side of the Chickahominy river, and Lee followed. There was a brisk engagement from 9 to 11 a. m., when firing ceased and McClellan fell back towards Malvern Hill. This affair is known as the battle of the Peach Orchard, or Allen's Farm.
    The engagement at Glendale, Virginia, on Monday June 30, 1862, is also known as Charles City Cross Roads, or Frayser's Farm, or White Oak Swamp.
    During the night of the 29th McClellan crossed the White Oak swamp with his trains and artillery, which although regarded as a perilous undertaking, was well managed. On the morning of the 30th the army was on its way to Malvern Hill and Harrison's Landing on the James river. Lee attacked at Glendale, and the contest was continued until nightfall. The enemy endeavored to secure possession of the ground on Malvern Hill, but failed. The Union gunboats gave McClellan much assistance in the Glendale engagement, and that night he reached Malvern Hill. Gen. George A. McCall, of the Pennsylvania Reserves, was captured this day.
    On the morning of Tuesday, July 1, Gen. McClellan was in position on Malvern Hill, an elevated open plateau on the left bank of the James river, sixty feet high and about one and a half miles in length by a half mile in width; both flanks rested on the river. The army was protected by the Union gunboats, which shelled Lee unmercifully. Lee was in close pursuit, and

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 16 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors