|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.1|
|History of Cambria County, V.1|
|590||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
in the country. In August, 1879, the hard wood timber on the lands of the William M. Lloyd estate, in the northern part of the country was sold at public sale. The pine, cherry, poplar and ash on 233 acres were sold at the rate of $2.65 per thousand feet, board measure. The white oak on about 1,000 acres brought two cents per cubic foot, and the red oak on the stump one dollar per thousand.
The mountains were well filled with hemlock, which was sold as low as five dollars per thousand feet delivered on the cars or brought into Johnstown or Ebensburg, but at the present it is selling for $22 per thousand. In the decade following 1850 there was a fair market for oak, cherry, ash and poplar lumber; maple and birch have been in demand since 1887, and beech for the past seven years.
As early as 1852 the oak forests of this county attracted the manufacturers of hogsheads for the molasses and sugar trade from the West Indies. That year Charles N. Peary, and two years later, A. A. Barker and other gentlemen from the New England states, came here and established "shook shops" wherever good oak could be secured, especially at Johnstown, Conemaugh and Carrolltown. A bundle of shook consisted of enough staves to form a hogshead, which had been shaved and put together and prepared for everything but the heads, and then taken apart and bound with hickory to facilitate their transportation. At the end of fifteen years the shook trade began to decline, and in 1875 it had altogether ceased to be a factor in the lumber business.