|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.1|
|History of Cambria County, V.1|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||93|
from that portion of the colony. The loss to Armstrong's command was forty-nine; 17 killed; 13 wounded and 19 missing, and a number of prisoners held there by the Indians were recaptured.
The result was so important that the city of Philadelphia tendered him and his men a vote of thanks, and appropriated 150 pounds for a medal for the Colonel and to give relief to the widows and children of the soldiers lost.
There were three Indian paths leading from the Allegheny river to Philadelphia, which passed through what was and is now Cambria county. The Quemahoning trail from Bedford to Ligonier crossing the Quemahoning creek at Kickenapaling's Indian village, now in Somerset county; the Conemaugh, following the river to Johnstown thence to Bedford, and the Kittanning trail from Kittanning to Frankstown. However, the first highway for teams and wagons was the military road constructed by Colonel Boquet in 1758, to take his army to Fort Duquesne, which passed near to Stoystown. The Bedford and Johnstown road is the oldest one in the county, and ends at the corner of Main and Bedfords streets, Johnstown. It was opened for travel so early that there are no records of it. It was the most direct route between these points, and may have been travelled as early as 1731, when it was simply a trail to the nearest block house at Bedford. It was used by Solomon and Samuel Adams and their sister Rachel between 1760 and 1770. At that time it came down Solomon's Run to Adam's mill, subsequently John Horner's mill, on the northerly side of the Von Lunen road, in the Seventh ward. The old road passed Salix three miles to the south of that town. It has been changed in many places, but it is substantially the same road between these points that the pioneers and the Indians used as a path. It was upon this road that Samuel Adams was killed by the Indians in 1771, as noted elsewhere.
The Kittanning Trail, or Burgoon's Gap Road, was one of the northerly pathways between Bedford and Kittanning, or lake Erie, at a very early date, at least in 1754. It led from Frankstown to what is now known as Kittanning Point on the Pennsylvania railroad, where there are two gaps. The Kittanning trail was in the northeasterly gap and passed through Clearfield township, Hart's Sleeping Place, near Carrolltown, thence through Susquehanna township to Kittanning. This road was not in use in 1816, excepting through the Burgoon Gap, the