You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of St. Augustine's Church
Cambria Header
History of St. Augustine

History of Parish of St. Augustine, St. Augustine, Pa. 25

 

     At the same session of Court, to Judge Addison was presented a petition bearing the same signature, prayed for the laying out of a township to be called Cambria Township from about the present northern boundary of Quemahoning Township, Somerset County, embracing all that territory between the line of Bedford and Huntingdon Counties on the east, and Westmoreland County on the west (the counties of Indiana and Blair were not then formed), to the "Dividing Ridge" between the waters of the Conemaugh and those of the Clearfield Creek, Chest Creek and the West branch of the Susquehanna, this territory containing within its bounds all of Cambria County afterwards taken from Somerset County and the present township of Conemaugh in that County. The place of holding elections was fixed at the house of Miles Philips in Beulah.

     On the petition of Joseph Johns and several others of the residents on the Conemaugh stating that they labored under great hardship through an almost unbroken wilderness in going to town meetings and elections across streams that were almost impassable, and praying for the annexation to Quemahoning township of that part of Cambria Township south of a line from the Conemaugh river, where that stream leaves the county, to the forks of the little Conemaugh and South Fork, and thence by the latter stream to the Bedford county line. This petition was granted by the same judge at the December sessions, 1798; and this is why Cambria township is eliminated from the map of Somerset, and the reason why the Charter of the Town of Conemaugh, laid out by Joseph Johns in 1800, locates the plan of the town in Quemahoning Township, Somerset County.

     In 1798, also by order of Quarter Sessions court of Somerset County, a road was laid out from the Galbraith road about a mile and a half to the eastward of the present village of Munster to Beulah. Father Gallitzin at first received his mail at Beulah "near here."

The Formation of Cambria County.

     Cambria County was laid out in accordance with an act of the Legislature, dated March 26, 1804. The act for formation described its outline as "Beginning at the Conemaugh at the Indiana County line; thence by a straight line to Canoe Place; thence east along Clearfield County to south-west corner of Centre County at the heads of Moshannon Creek; thence southerly along the Allegheny Mountain to the Somerset County line; thence along lines


Previous page Title Page Image Index Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors