You are here:   Cambria > Books > Presidents, Soldiers, Statesmen > pg.1246
Cambria Header
Presidents, Soldiers, Statesmen


She was born in Blair county, Pa., in 1852, and was a daughter of Thomas and Elizabth [sic] (Smith) Burks, deceased. The following children have been the issue of this union, Mary, Mark, Anna, James, Charles, Bennett, Thomas, Mary E., and Agnes. Comrade Krise responded to his country's call for help and was enrolled October, 1861, when 27 years of age as a private in Co. K, 101st Pa. V. I. May 31, 1862, he was wounded at Fair Oaks in shoulder and left thigh; he was taken to hospital where he received medical treatment for three months; he was furloughed for twenty days and returned to regiment at end of time; he was detailed for three weeks in 1862 to build bridges. He took part in the Siege of Yorktown, Lees Mills, Williams Mills, Seven Pines, Fair Oaks, Williamsburg and plentiful experience in scouting, skirmishing, guard and garrison duty. He was honorably discharged Nov. 1, 1862, at Philadelphia, Pa. His brother Peter served in the late war, as did his wife's brother Francis; his great-grandfather served in the Revolutionary war. Comrade Krise may be addressed at St. Augustine, Pa., near which place he is successfully engaged in farming.


Was born in Davis county, Ia., July 14, 1844, and was a son of David and Mary A. (Kern) Land, deceased. He was married Nov. 19, 1878, in Johnstown, Pa., to Louisa Fye, who was born in Cambria county, Pa., Nov. 18, 1843; her father, John Fye, is deceased, but her mother, Elizabeth (Eyler), is still living. Filled with the patriotism of youth, our subject entered into active service during the late war and performed his duties faithfully; he was 17 years of age and had been engaged in farming when he was enrolled from Johnstown, Pa., Aug. 1, 1862, as a private in Co. B, 133d Pa. V. I., 3d Brig., 2d Div., 5th A. C., and in due time was made 3d Sergt. Oct. 1, 1864, he was wounded at the battle of Poplar Grove by piece of shell. He was again wounded at the battle of Hatcher's Run Feb. 6, 1865, in foot, and again March 31, 1865, was wounded at White Oak Roads. For the wound received at Hatcher's Run, he was treated in hospital at City Point, Va., one month; he had previously been confined in hospital near Frederick City, Md., two months, suffering with rheumatism. For the wound received at White Oak Roads, he was cared for in City Point hospital two weeks. May, 18, 1863, he was honorably discharged at Harrisburg, Pa., and re-enlisted Aug. 23, 1864, at Johnstown, Pa., in Co. F, 198th Pa. V. I. 1st Brig., 1st Div., 5th A. C. August, 1864, he was detailed near Weldon R. R. to occupy a dangerous picket post for three days. March, 1865, he was detailed to take charge of a picket line in front of Petersburg; he was often de-

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors