You are here:   Cambria > Books > Presidents, Soldiers, Statesmen > pg.1217
Cambria Header
Presidents, Soldiers, Statesmen



Was born in Lovell, Me., in 1824, of parents Jones and Mary (Chandler) Elliott, deceased. In 1862 in Indiana county, Pa., he was married Mary F. Perkins, and their hearthstone has been graced with nine children, Lillie L., Martha E., Elizabeth, Sheridan, George H., Charlotte, William, Elmer L. and Luvernta C. His wife was born in 1841, in Maine, of parents, James and Mary (Floyd) Perkins, deceased. When the war cloud settled over our country and treason trailed our flag in the dust in the south, he was employed as a cooper. He was 30 years of age thwn he was enrolled September, 1864, at Ebensburg, Pa., as Corp. Co. C, 209th Pa. V. I. He was wounded at the battle of Ft. Steedman, for which he was treated in Carver hospital, Washington, D.C. In May, 1865, he was granted a thirty day furlough and reported for duty at end of time. He took part in the battles of Bermuda Hundred and Ft. Steedman, and was granted his honorable discharge at the close of the war. His brothers, Alonzo and Hazen, served in the late war. Our subject passed to hs reward July 4, 1893, of heart trouble. His widow resides near Mountaintown, Pennsylvania.


Was born in Tioga county, Pa., Feb. 14, 1881 [sic] and was a son of Aseph and Amanda (Spencer) Ellis, deceased. He was married in Clearfield county, Pa., in 1855, to Elmira Louisa Lawrence, and they came to Indiana county, same state, three years later. She was born in 1840, of parents, Ira and Parnie (Fairbanks) Lawrence, neither of whom are living. As the fruit of this marriage, the following children have been born: Lucy M., dec., Ira C., Julia A., Ida M., dec., Olmer R., Hattie J., Charles F. and Harry M. Comrade Ellis was 30 years of age and had been engaged in farming when he was enrolled from Pittsburg, Pa., Aug. 22, 1861. He cast his lot as a soldier with Co. A, 61st Pa. V. I. May 21, 1862, he was wounded at the battle of Fair Oaks, Va., in right leg; he was taken prisoner same day, being held in Libby prison till July 12, and Belle Isle till Aug. 6, 1862, when he was exchanged; he was again wounded in left side at Marie's Heights, Fredericksburg, May 3, 1863, by gunshot; after he was wounded he was taken to Fredericksburg where he remained three weeks, then taken to Alexandria and thence to Newark, N.J., and there held until Sept. 28, 1864, when he was transferred to Saterlee hospital, West Philadelphia. Feb. 1, 1863, he was furloughed for thirty days. Dec. 20, 1863, he was honorably discharged to re-enlist as a veteran in old command. May 6, 1864, at the battle of Wilderness, he was wounded by grape shot, which resulted in the loss of right arm. He was de-

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors