You are here:   Cambria > Past Events > 1906 Johnstown Weekly Tribune
Past Events


Friday, 10 Aug 1906
Page 1
Submitted by Lisa Baker

Mr. and Mrs. E. O. Hartshorne, of Barnesboro, gave a delightful porch party the other evening, the out-of-town guests being Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Scholl and Mrs. C. C. Greeninger, of Patton; Miss Dorothy Shaffner, of Carlisle; Miss Ruth Dow, of Pittsburg, and Miss Ella Blessing, of Carlisle.

Banker George F. Wildeman, of Spangler, took a trip to the country recently to gather blackberries, intending to surprise his wife with the large quantity he secured. When he returned home it was he who was surprised to find a surprise in store for him in the form of a bouncing boy that had arrived during his absence.

A horse belonging to James Hall, of Gallitzin, while standing near Sanker's livery stable, Cresson, on Wednesday of last week became frightened and ran away. The horse was hitched to a runabout and dashed out of the alley up Powell avenue and down Second street, where it managed to free itself from the rig and was finally captured near Lilly. The rig was badly smashed and the horse is seriously injured.

W. Port Crawford, foreman of the Barnesboro “Star” office, was so unfortunate Tuesday of last week as to have his hand caught in the gearing of a paper press, inflicting a painful injury. The first two fingers of his left hand were terribly lacerated and a portion of bone torn out. Dr. A.F. Dunsmore dressed the wounds and Mr. Crawford is getting along as well as can be expected, though it will be some time before he regains full use of his hand.

Windber Lady Died at Hospital There Tuesday Morning

Windber, Aug. 9 — Following an operation at the Windber Hospital about 10 o'clock Monday night, Mrs. Mary Berish, of mine No. 25, died next morning, aged twenty-one years. Her husband and one child survive. Undertaker Dietrich prepared the body for burial and funeral services were held at 3 o'clock Wednesday afternoon in the Hungarian Reformed Church here. Interment followed in the East End Cemetery.

Lemon Statler, of Near Arrow, Run Over by Car in Mine No. 33 and
Death Follows at Windber Hospital

Windber, Aug. 9 — Lemon Statler, aged twenty years, died in the hospital here about 7 on Monday evening. He was admitted a few minutes before from mine No. 33, where he was run over by a runaway mine car. His right leg was broken, one of his hands badly crushed, and he sustained internal injuries.
The young man was a son of Mr. and Mrs. William Statler, of near Arrow. Undertaker Meek removed the remains to the Statler home. The funeral services were held at 9 o'clock Wednesday morning in the Berkey Church, burial being made in the church cemetery.

Resort to Forgery and Falsehood to Slander a Young Woman

A couple of weeks ago a communication reached The Tribune office, bearing the signature of a reputable citizen of Hooversville, and stating that Miss Lizzie Glenn Nester, a young woman of that place, had gone to the Wilkinsburg Hospital for treatment, for the third time, and that she had not been benefited by her previous stays there. The Tribune in good faith printed the item, which was innocent enough on its face, but was apprized Monday by the father of the girl that the communication is an entire falsehood, concocted, evidently, with the object of slandering Miss Nester. Not only that, but the signature to the communication is a forgery.

It is a fact that not perhaps generally known that to furnish false information to a newspaper is an infraction of the law, and that the penalty is quite severe. An example made of such as the Hooversville correspondent would doubtless have a salutary effect, and The Tribune would be very glad to receive any information which would lead to the identification of this particular miscreant.

Conemaugh Lady in Hospital

Mrs. Pearl Fite, of Conemaugh, was taken to the Memorial Hospital Tuesday morning. She has been ill for some time, and it is said has typhoid fever.

Lost Two Fingers

While George C. Crushnow was working about the stone crusher at the new coal washer plant at Vintondale last Friday, his right hand was caught in the machinery and he is now minus two fingers.

Page 3

Altoona Man, No Longer Able to Make Living, Shoots Himself

DuBois, Pa., Aug. 9 — B. S. Yeager, of Altoona, committed suicide by shooting at 10 yesterday morning in a lodging house at this place. The dead man had a postal card in his pockets addressed to his wife as follows:

DuBois, Pa., Aug. 7th.
Dear People: I am sick. Can't make a living any more, so I will end my career. Forgive me. All my goods are here. Good-bye. B. S. YEAGER.

The suicide had been conducted (sic-at) a shooting gallery here. He had $17 in his pockets, a gold watch, and three cigars. Deceased was aged about fifty.

Page 6

Mrs. William F. Neville

Martha, wife of William F. Neville, died at 7:20 Wednesday evening at her home in Estherville, Lower Yoder Township, after a long illness of cancer, aged forty-seven years, six months, and seventeen days. The deceased was born in Lower Yoder Township on January 22, 1859, and was a daughter of Benjamin and Esther Edwards, deceased. About 1879 she was united in marriage to Mr. Neville and for many years they resided in their home at the corner of Carr street and Potts place, removing to the Edwards farm a few years ago. Mrs. Neville is survived by her husband, but no children. She was a sister of Mrs. Ailen Boyle, of the Fifth Ward; Mrs. William A. Palmer, of Morrellville; Mrs. Robert Adams, of Walnut Grove; Misses Hannah and Mary Edwards of Lower Yoder Township; Jonathan, of Morrellville, and Joseph, who is in the West.

The deceased became a member of the Lutheran Church many years ago, but in 1880 transferred her membership to the Franklin-street Methodist congregation. She was a member of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society and also of the Ladies and Pastor's Christian Union of the latter denomination.

The funeral will take place from the Edwards home at 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon, after which interment will be made in the Edwards farm cemetery in Estherville.

Mrs. Hugh Rodgers

Mrs. Bridget Brennen Rodgers, relict of Hugh Rodgers, died of general debility at 1:30 Wednesday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Stein, in East End, Pittsburg, aged about eighty years. She was a native of Ireland, but came to this country many years ago. Her husband was an employee of the Cambria Iron Company for many years and died in Prospect Borough about 1886. Patrick Brennen, a brother of Mrs. Rodgers, was badly wounded in the Rebellion and died here a few years afterward. Mrs. Rodgers made her home in the Twelfth Ward for many years, going to Pittsburg to live with her son-in-law and daughter about 1898. She is survived by these children: Patrick Rodgers and Mrs. John Papa, of Chicago; Mrs. Timothy Riley, of Rankin, and Mrs. John Stein, mentioned above. The remains were brought to Johnstown last evening on the 7:16 train and were taken to the home of her nephew, Frank O'Donnell, No. 229 Ebensburg road, Twelfth Ward. The funeral will take place at 9 o'clock this morning from St. John's Catholic Church. Interment will be made in the church cemetery at Geistown.

John A. Noon

John A. Noon, of Richland Township, died Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, aged seventy-four years. The cause of his death was paralysis. About four years ago Mr. Noon suffered a stroke of paralysis which had left him practically helpless, and a second stroke, a few days ago found him in no condition to longer combat it.

The deceased was twice married, the first time about fifty years ago to Miss Matilda Shoup, who died about forty-one years ago. To this union were born two sons, both of whom survived, as follows: Jerome, of Wilmore, and Grant, of Grant street, this city. Mr. Noon later united in marriage with Katharine Myers of Geistown, who survives him with two sons, Frank and Garfield, both residing at home. Besides these, the deceased is survived by two brothers and three sisters.

The Noon family for a short time resided in Johnstown, returning only about t[..blurred..] months ago to the farm in Richland Township.

The funeral services were conducted yesterday afternoon and interment was made in Singer's Cemetery, Conemaugh Township.

Mrs. Catherine Leslie

Mrs. Catherine Morrison Leslie, widow of Thomas Leslie, died of general debility at 6:25 on Monday evening at the residence of her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Frank S. Deckert, No. 26 Iron street, Thirteenth Ward, aged seventy-seven years, two months, and seventeenth (sic) days. Mrs. Leslie had been bedfast for over eight months.

The deceased was born and reared in Westmoreland County, this State, and was married there many years ago to Thomas Leslie. Mr. Leslie was a meat merchant and was engaged in business in Johnstown for some time after the Great Flood of 1889, later returning to Beaver Falls, where he had been before coming to this city. He died at Arnold, Westmoreland County, three years ago and his remains were taken to Beaver for interment.

Funeral services were held at 7:30 o'clock Tuesday evening at the Deckert home by the Rev. Everett G. Morris, pastor of the F-street Methodist Church, and the remains were taken to Beaver Wednesday forenoon for interment. Mrs. Leslie was a member of the Methodist Protestant Church.

Mrs. Hannah E. Lucas

Mrs. Hannah Elizabeth Lucas, relict of Joseph M. Lucas, died at 7 yesterday morning at No. 444 Kennedy avenue, aged sixty-six years. She had been sick for a long time, but was able to be about until two weeks ago, when she took her bed.

The deceased, whose maiden name was Hannah E. Livingston, was born in Huntingdon County. Her husband, who has been dead for a number of years, fought in the Rebellion in Company D, Fifty-third Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Besides a sister living in Alabama, another in Clearfield County, and a brother in the latter county, the deceased is survived by two sons and three daughters: Harry, of Conemaugh; George, of the South Side; Mrs. Emma Larimer, of Osceola; Mrs. Carrie Shunkwiler, of Patton, and Miss Dessie Lucas, at home. The Lucas family came to Johnstown nine years ago.

The remains will be taken to Unionville, Center County, for interment.

Robert Kuntz

Robert Kuntz, son of Chauncey and Jane Miller Kuntz, died Tuesday afternoon of pneumonia at St. Francis Hospital, Pittsburg, in his twenty-fourth year. The deceased was a brick-layer and was working on the Kaufmann building in that city when he took sick.

Besides his parents, who reside at No. 746 Franklin street, the deceased is survived by the following brothers and sisters: Norval, of the Seventh Ward; Ward, of Columbus, O.; Russell, who is in the West; Elda, wife of Frank Leitenberger, of the Seventh Ward, and Miller Koontz and Miss Fannie, at home.

The remains were brought to Johnstown Tuesday night on the 11:10 train and taken to the Kuntz home in the Sixth Ward, where the funeral services were held at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon by the Rev. Scott E. Winebrenner, of the Grove-avenue Methodist Church. The remains were laid to rest in Grand-View Cemetery.

Vincent Henry Burns

Ebensburg, Aug. 9—Vincent Henry Burns, aged twenty-four years, eleven months, and twenty-seven days, died at his home on Julian street shortly before 1 o'clock Monday morning, after a lingering illness from a complication of diseases. For about two years he had been ill, but about one month ago he had apparently so far improved as to cause his friends to believe he was on the road to recovery. On Thursday of last week he was again seized, and from that time until his death he was practically unconscious. The funeral was held on Wednesday morning and after requiem high mass at the Church of the Holy Name, with the Rev. Father O'Neill as celebrant, the remains were taken to Nicktown for interment. The following brothers and sister survive: Frank and Peter, of Cameron's Bottom; Edward and Thomas, of Nanty-Glo, and Suie, of Ebensburg. The parents, John and Ann Burns, have been dead several years.

William Boyles.

Sunday night William Boyles, an aged and respected resident of near Cresson, died at his home at that place of diseases incident to old age. He had been in failing health for several months. Deceased was aged seventy-nine years and had resided for many years in the vicinity of Cresson and was widely known and respected. He was at one time an employee of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company in the capacity of a section foreman. He worked on the Pittsburg Division at the time Andrew Carnegie was Superintendent. He is survived by his wife and one daughter.

Mrs. George C. Saunders

Lizzie L., wife of George C. Saunders, died at her residence at Gallitzin Sunday afternoon, of tuberculosis, after an illness of seven months. The deceased was born at Mantua, N.J., December 8, 1865, and was married to George C. Saunders, of Gallitzin, in 1891. She is survived by her husband and two daughters. Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock in the Gallitzin Methodist Episcopal Church. Interment in the Union Cemetery.

Mrs. Eliza Hutzell Baer

Mrs. Eliza Hutzell Baer, widow of the late S.J. Baer, died Saturday morning at her home in Meyersdale, aged sixty-five years. Five daughters survive. They are: Mrs. George Greene, of Ohio; Mrs. William B. Groff, of Meyersdale; Mrs. Ida Straub, of Meyersdale, and the Misses Maggie and Lillian, at home. Mrs. Joseph Levy, of Somerset, is a grandmother of the deceased.

Mike Horallo

Mike Horallo, of Salisbury, Somerset County, an Austrian, aged about twenty-eight years, died of typhoid fever at noon Sunday at the Memorial Hospital. The remains were removed to Henderson's undertaking establishment, where they were held for a day or two pending the possible receipt of instructions from friends.

Mrs. Frank Coy

Mrs. Frank Coy, of Barnesboro, died on Saturday evening, July 28th, of consumption. Her maiden name was Blanche Stahl. She was born in Cherryhill Township Indiana County, twenty-five years ago. The funeral services were held on Tuesday, July 31st, at the Barnesboro Methodist church.


Mary Ellen, infant daughter of Oliver and Ellen Diehl, of Kittanning Point, died Thursday of last week of cholera infantum. The funeral took place at Gallitzin Sunday.

George Russell Lint, aged one year, died Tuesday evening at the home of his parents, William and Harriet Lint, on the Bedford pike. The funeral took place at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon, with interment in the Gossard Cemetery, above Conemaugh.

Helen Virginia Shanholtz, daughter of Albert and Ann Shanholtz, died on Sunday morning at the home of her parents in Rosedale, aged five months. The funeral took place at 9 o'clock Tuesday morning, with interment in Benshoff's Cemetery in West Taylor Township.

Katharine Koeller, daughter of William and Mary Koeller, died on Monday at the home of her parents, No. 127 Sheridan street, Twentieth Ward, aged five years, six months, and seven days. The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon, interment being made in St. Mary's Cemetery in Lower Yoder Township.

Frienda Kunzel, daughter of Albert and Lucretia Kunzel, died on Monday at the parental home, No. 124 Gautier street, Tenth Ward, aged four months. The funeral took place at 9 o'clock Wednesday forenoon, interment being made in St. Joseph's German Catholic Cemetery at Geistown.



Prof. James Calvin Taylor and Miss Mary Lucretia Robertson were married Wednesday evening at 8:30 o'clock at the Robertson residence, No. 192 Fairfield avenue, Nineteenth Ward, by the Rev. H.C. Cooper, pastor of the Laurel-avenue Presbyterian Church. Miss Bess Hepburn, of Mahaffey, played the wedding march and the bride was attended by Miss Maude Robertson, of Harrisburg, and the groom by David Blair, of Morrellville. A wedding supper was served, and the bride and groom left on a late train for the East to spend their honeymoon. Miss Robertson is a daughter of the late Alderman W.H.H. Robertson and a sister of W.G.S. Robertson, the Fairfield-avenue merchant. Mr. Taylor is a native of York, but has been teaching school in Johnstown for the past few years. He is at present the principal of the Coopersdale schools. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor will make their home in this city.


Gallitzin, Aug. 9—Miss Cecelia Fitzharris, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Fitzharris, of this place, was united in marriage this morning to James David, a well-known civil engineer, of Greensburg. The wedding was a quiet affair, and was performed by the Rev. Father J.J. Deasy, in St. Patrick's parish house. The attendants were Regina Kelley, of Johnstown, and Robert McKay, of Ehrenfeld. After the ceremony, which took place about 9:30 o'clock, the entire party breakfasted at the Gallitzin House. Mr. and Mrs. David will make their future home in Greensburg. Mrs. David was for several years a teacher in the Gallitzin schools and has a host of friends here.


The marriage of Miss Effa Maude Wike, of Indiana, to Otis Ralph Briney, of Wilkinsburg, was solemnized at 1 p.m. Wednesday at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. James L. Wike, by the Rev. Dr. George S. Holmes, pastor of the Methodist Church in Indiana. The wedding was witnessed by only the families of the contracting parties and a few of the most intimate friends. After the wedding dinner the couple left on the 4 o'clock train for a tour of the eastern summer resorts. They will make their home in Wilkinsburg.


Miss Mary S. Rishel and Edward J. Meyers, of near Somerset, were married at 4 p.m. Thursday of last week at the parsonage of the Morrellville Baptism Brethren Church by the Rev. H.S. Replogle. They were unattended. The young couple came to the city that morning and attended the Sunday School convention in the Walnut Grove German Baptist Brethren Church. They were registered at the Cook Hotel during their stay in the city and left over the S. & C. Branch Thursday evening for home.


Miss Jessie C. Rugh, of Conemaugh, and Anson B. Kerr, of near Nant-y-Glo, this county, were married on Wednesday of last week at the parsonage of the Brethren Church at Vinco by the Rev. George Jones. The bride formerly resided at Wilmore.


Windber, Aug. 9—The Rev. E.A. Sharp, pastor of the United Brethren Church here, Sunday afternoon officiated at the marriage of Miss Ida B. Giesel, of Forward Postoffice, to Henry L. Wirick, of Hooversville, Somerset County. The couple will reside at Hooversville.


Gallitzin, Aug. 9 — Matthew Moran, of Gallitzin, and Miss Marie McLaughlin, of Baker's Mines, were united in marriage last evening at Baker's Mines by the Rev. Father Deware, rector of the Catholic Church at that place.

Young Italian, Fooling with Revolver, Receives Dangerous Wound in Lung and is at Memorial Hospital

New Florence, Aug. 9 — Joseph Angelo, aged twenty-one years, employed upon the work being carried on here by the American Pipe Line Company, was accidentally shot while he and some of his fellow-workmen were engaged in examining a revolver. The ball penetrated the lung and inflicted a probably fatal injury. The injured man was placed aboard an early train for Johnstown Monday, where he was put in a hospital for treatment.

At the Memorial Hospital it was stated that Angelo had been received there on Monday morning and that he was in a serious condition, although hopes are entertained for his recovery. The ball entered the chest, and, passing through the lung, it thought to have lodged in the back. No effort has been made to locate the bullet, as it is believed an operation at this time would lessen the man's chances for recovery.

Papers of Administration Taken Out at the Recorder's Office

Register Arthur Griffith has issued letters of Administration in the following estates at Ebensburg since The Tribune's last report:
Estate of Joseph N. Jones, late of South Fork, to William N. Jones.
Estate of Mike Mlinarchik, late of Johnstown, to George Mlinarchik.
Estate of Wilhelmina Kirchner, deceased, late of Johnstown. Will probated and letters granted to Jacob Kirchner.

Policeman Grubb's Vacation

New Florence, Aug. 9 — At its last session the Borough Council of this place granted to Chief of Police D.J. Grubb a vacation of a week to visit his family in Johnstown.

17 AUG 1906
Submitted Lisa Baker

Page 6


Harry B. Risheberger

Stoyestown, Aug. 16-Harry B. Rishenberger, son of John and Margaret Risheberger, well-known residents of this place, died here last evening, from Bright's disease. He had been in failing health for more than one year, but had been confined to his bed only a few days. He was born in Jennifer Township on September 18, 1870, and lived there until about nine years ago, when he removed to Ligonier. He was married twelve years ago to Miss Bertha Sacha, of Sipesville, and she, together with two children, John and Myrtle, survive.

While living at Ligonier Mr. Risheberger had been employed as a clerk in the Hotel Breniser. When it became evident two months ago that the disease with which he was afflicted was likely to prove fatal, he came to Stoyestown and remained at the home of his parents here until the time of his death. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning from the family residence, the Rev. J. S. English, pastor of the Lutheran Church, officiating. Burial will be made in the Odd Fellows Cemetery. Besides his wife and two children, a brother, William, of Monessen, and a sister, Mrs. Annie Ray, of Ligonier, survive.

Herman Beltz

Herman Beltz, the fifteen-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. George Beltz, who live at the rear of the John T. Martin residence on Jackson street, died at 2:20 yesterday morning, after an illness of only a few hours. Shortly after coming from his work at the Franklin Plant Wednesday evening the young man was stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage, from which he never recovered.

Besides his parents, the deceased is survived by a twin brother Arnold, by twin brothers, Robert and Louis, each aged six years, and by George and Roland, older brothers.

Funeral services will likely be conducted at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon by the Rev. Hugo R. Erdmann, pastor of Zion's German Lutheran Church. Interment will be made in Grand-View Cemetery.

Josiah Pearson

Josiah Pearson, a veteran of the Civil War, died last Saturday night at his home in Windber, Somerset County, aged about fifty-six years. He had been sick for a long time with stomach trouble.

Mr. Pearson was born and reared in Bedford County and had worked as a cabinet maker for J. E. Washburn, at Pleasantville, for fifteen years. After locating in Windber he had been employed as night watchman for the Berwind-White Coal Mining Company. The deceased is survived by his wife, whose maiden name was Miss Julia Hann, and five sons and three daughters.

The remains were taken overland on Monday to Pleasantville, Bedford County, where interment was made in the afternoon.

Thomas Wissinger

Thomas Wissinger, seventy-two years old, died last Friday at the family residence in Richland Township, near Scalp Level, after a brief illness from diseases incident to old age. He was born near Scalp Level and had always resided in the vicinity of his native home. During the Civil War he enlisted as a private and served in various capacities during the greater part of the conflict. He married Miss Amelia Baumgardner many years ago, and she, together with these children survive: Ephraim, Frank, Edwin, Harry, Albert, John, Mary, and Pearl. The funeral was held in the Lutheran Church, Scalp Level, on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and burial was made in the cemetery adjoining the church.

William C. Kiefer

William C. Kiefer, aged thirty-eight years, died on Tuesday at the Memorial Hospital, after an illness of several months. The deceased was a son of the late Casper Kiefer, and for thirteen years had been connected with the Schry clothing store. Besides his mother, Mrs. Mary Kiefer, who lives at No. 107 Adam street, he is survived by the following brothers and sisters: Max, Joseph, Rhinehart, Casper, Frank, and Mrs. William Stibich.

After a mass of requiem at St. Joseph's German Catholic Church at 9 o'clock yesterday morning, the remains were laid to rest in the cemetery at Geistown. The Rev. Father Rudesind was the celebrant of the mass.

John Sides Hahn

John Sides Hahn, son of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Hahn, of No. 128 Fairfield avenue, died at 7:10 a.m. Tuesday, aged thirteen years, six months, and six days. Death resulted from heart trouble, originating from an attack of rheumatism. Besides his parents, the deceased is survived by a stepbrother, Charles H. Hahn.

Funeral services were conducted at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon by the Rev. E. A. Hibler, pastor of the First Christian Church. Interment was made in Grand-View Cemetery.

Mrs. Arthur Ober

Mrs. Arthur Ober, of Horner street, Seventh Ward, died on Monday afternoon at her home of peritonitis. The deceased was twenty-three years of age and was a daughter of the Rev. William A. Crofford, of the Seventeenth Ward. Besides her parents, she is survived by her husband and an infant child. Mrs. Ober was an active member of the Somerset-street Brethren Church, from where the funeral took place at 2:30 o'clock Wednesday afternoon, with interment in Grand-View Cemetery.

Miss Annie Kellan

Miss Annie Kellan, daughter of Mrs. Catherine Kellan, of South Fork, died at 5 o'clock Monday morning in St. Francis Hospital, Pittsburg, aged thirty-eight years. The remains were brought to South Fork that evening, where they were met by Undertaker Dimond and conveyed to the home of the deceased. Funeral services were held Wednesday morning in the Wilmore Catholic Church, following which burial took place in the church cemetery at Wilmore.

Dorothea B. Reese

Dorothea B. Reese, daughter of Judson F. and Martha Reese, of Blacklick Township, died at the family home last Friday night of epilepsy, aged twenty-eight years, nine months, and thirteen days. For many years she had been an invalid and her death was not unexpected. Funeral services were held on Sunday afternoon from the Bethel Baptism Church in Blacklick Township, and burial was made in the cemetery adjoining the church.

Mrs. Henry S. Smith

Sophia M. Smith, wife of Henry R. Smith, of Helixville, Bedford County, died August 6th and was buried on August 8th at Schellsburg. The funeral services were conducted at the house by the Rev. E. A. Sharp, pastor of the United Brethren Church, of Windber. The deceased is survived by her husband, three daughters, and one son. She was aged fifty-four years and twenty-eight days.

Mrs. Bridget Hannel

Mrs. Bridget Hannel, of Houtzdale, Clearfield County, died Saturday night at 10 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lizzie Rafferty, of Uniondale, aged sixty-four years. Undertaker Dimond prepared the body for burial and funeral services were held at 10 o'clock Tuesday morning in the Ehrenfeld Catholic Church. Burial was made at Wilmore.

Mrs. George Shumacher

Mrs. George Shumacher died at 4:30 o'clock on Sunday afternoon at her home, No. 602 Chestnut street, Cambria City, aged eighty-two years. Her husband, three daughters, and one son survive. The funeral, in charge of Undertaker McGahan, took place at 9 o'clock Tuesday morning from St. Mary's German Catholic Church.

Clara Amelia Gerber

Clara Amelia Gerber, aged twenty years and ten months, died at 7:30 yesterday morning at the residence of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Gerber, No. 405 Horner street. Funeral services will be conducted at 9 o'clock Saturday morning at St. Joseph's German Catholic Church, after which interment will be made at Geistown.


George, son of Philip Pashen, of South Fork, died Wednesday evening of pneumonia, aged two years. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon, with interment at Wilmore.

Agnes Marie, daughter of Thomas and Annie Parks Slater, of No. 168 Collins street, Thirteenth Ward, died Monday morning, aged one month and eight days.

Magdalene, three-month-old daughter of Mrs. Bridget Lee, of Klondike, near South Fork, died Monday and was buried Wednesday in the Catholic Cemetery at Wilmore. Undertaker Dimond had charge of the funeral.

Margaret, infant daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Kelly, of No. 232 Iron street, died Sunday morning. The funeral took place Monday afternoon, with interment in Lower Yoder Cemetery.

Catherine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas D. O'Neal, of No. 523 Napoleon street, died of appendicitis Tuesday evening at the Memorial Hospital, aged seven years and four months. Funeral services were held at the O'Neal home at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon, and interment was made, at Grand-View.

June Caroline, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Irwin Berkey, died at 1:45 o'clock Sunday morning at the parental home, No. 729 Coleman avenue. The child was two years, two months, and eight days old. Undertaker Pendry had charge of the funeral, which took place at 10 o'clock Tuesday morning, with interment in Grand-View.

Pulpit Vacancy Is Filled at Wilmore, Other Happenings

Wilmore, Aug. 16-The Rev. Faushold, who preached a trial sermon for the three churches of the Wilmore charge, was elected as regular pastor at the meeting of the different councils last Monday. He will begin his pastorate in September.

The charge has been without a pastor since the Rev. Allen resigned.

- - - - -

Mrs. Bostert, of Walnut street, Johnstown, is visiting her brother, George Dopp, of Summerhill Township.

Miss Nellie Blaisdell is visiting her aunt, Mrs. Davis, of Wilkes-Barre.

Thomas Conley, of Altoona; Miss Lizzie, of Cresson, and Mrs. William J. Moore, of Hollidaysburg, are visiting their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Conley, of Wilmore.

Mrs. A. J. McMullen, with her family, is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Cullen.

Miss Geno Kerbey, an employee of the Westinghouse, is visiting her father and mother.

While a son of John Smag, of Croyle Township, was cradling oats, the heel of the cradle caught on a clod, causing the scythe to swerve, cutting a deep and painful gash across the knee.

The Rev. Jenkins, a son of the Rev. Jenkins, of the Congregational Church (South), preached in the U. B. Church Sunday evening.

Divine worship Sunday, August 19th: St. Bartholomew's, the Rev. Egan, pastor-Mass, 10:30. U. B., the Rev. Kelly, pastor-Sunday school at 9:30, preaching at 10:30. Lutheran, the Rev. Faushold, pastor-Sunday school at 9:30, preaching at 10:30, normal class at 2 p.m.

Death of a Child

Margaret, daughter of Clark and Matilda Cuppett, of No. 541 Cambria avenue, died of a complication of diseases Wednesday morning, aged six years, four months, and seven days. The Rev. W. S. Bell, pastor of the Somerset-street Brethren Church, will conduct services at 1:30 o'clock this afternoon, interment to be made in Sandyvale Cemetery.



Miss Lola Beckwith Berry and Ralph M. Henderson, of this city, were quietly married in Ebensburg Tuesday evening at the parsonage of the Fist Congregational Church, the Rev. J. Twyson Jones performing the ceremony. They were unattended. They returned to Johnstown Wednesday from the county seat and will reside in this city, making their home for the time being at the Capital Hotel.

Both the young people are members of well-known Johnstown families and prominent in local social circles. Mr. Henderson is a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Henderson, of Haynes street, is a Harvard graduate, and for the past couple of years has been a valued member of The Tribune's editorial staff. His bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Al C. Berry, of Locust street, and is a musician of unusual talent, having studied at St. Xavier's Academy, near Latrobe; and graduated from the Ithaca Conservatory in New York State. She is especially expert as a violinist and has appeared in that capacity in many cities of the country.


At 9 o'clock yesterday morning Howard I. Custer, a popular young man of Pittsburg, and Miss Eleanora Ott, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward D. Ott, of No. 412 Hayes street, this city, were united in marriage at the parsonage of Zion's German Lutheran Church, the Rev. Hugo R. Erdmann officiating. The couple were attended by John Dyer and Miss Emma Opperman. Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served, after which Mr. and Mrs. Custer departed for an Eastern trip, including Philadelphia and Atlantic City. They will make their home in Pittsburg.


Tuesday afternoon, at the parsonage of Beulah United Evangelical Church, Dale, the Rev. J. Q. A. Curry, the pastor, performed the ceremony uniting in marriage Miss Edith Olive Carlson, of Tioga County, and John Turner, of South Fork. The couple were attended by Miss Annie Boyle and James Turner, a brother of the groom, both of South Fork, to which place the party drove after the ceremony and where the newly-wedded pair will reside.


Miss Clara E. Leber, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Leber, of the St. Charles Hotel, Washington street, was married to James R. Hoover, of Coopersale, on August 9th. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Hugo R. Erdmann, at the parsonage of Zion's German Lutheran Church. There were no attendants.


William R. Gilbert, of Johnstown, and Miss Anna Ayres, of Pittsburg, were married in the latter city Tuesday evening, and on Wednesday arrived here to visit Mr. Gilbert's parents in Walnut Grove.

Will Be Held Near Scalp Level on August 22d.

The third annual reunion of members of the Seese family in this and Somerset counties will be held at the Seese homestead near Scalp Level on August 22d. As on two previous occasions it is expected that the guest of honor will be Mrs. Hannah Seese, of Scalp Level, aged eighty-seven years. The Program Committee, of which Miss Pearl Lehman is Chairman, has arranged the following exercises for the afternoon:

Address, the Rev. D. S. Hafer; recitation, Viola Berkebile; solo, W. G. Hummel; recitation, Lulu Hoffman; instrumental solo, Ada Myers; male quartet; tropical talk, Algie Lehman; recitation, Esther Fryock; duet, Zella and Nellie Lehman; address, R. D. Murphy; recitation, Cotta Myers; solo, W. G. Hummel; recitation, Pearl Lehman; music, Berkebile Quartet.


EXECUTOR'S NOTICE-In re estate of William H. Swank, late of Jenner Township, Somerset County, Pennsylvania, deceased.

Notice is hereby given that letters testamentary on the estate of said decedent has been granted to the undersigned, and that all persons knowing themselves indebted will make payment and those having claims will present them, duly authenticated, to
DAVID U. SWANK, Executor.
Johnstown, Pa.
Or DAN L. PARSONS, His Attorney.

Note-I will set at the late home of said decedent on Monday, October 1, 1906, at 10 o'clock a.m., for the adjustment of accounts, etc.

Late Happenings of Interest Through Big County.

Free postal delivery will be inaugurated at Irwin November 3d.

The barn on the Coy farm, near Salina, was struck by lightning one day last week and burned to the ground.

Edward E. Kennedy, a Vandergrift mill worker, was committed to jail the other day charged with attempted rape.

W. O. Messmer, of Scottsdale, fell dead from apoplexy at Middletown, N.Y., last Monday. He was aged about fifty-five years.

George Magen, a Haydenville Slav, was committed to jail last week, charged with assaulting his brother's little daughter.

Unable to swim, Martin Galatine, aged seventeen years, was drowned in the Hecla Coke Company's dam while bathing last Sunday.

Frank Fausold, a P.R.R. brakeman who resides at Derry, had one of his hands crushed while cutting cars at Cresson one day last week.

Herbert Lane, a Mt. Pleasant youth, fell a distance of twenty-five feet from a tree, sustaining an ugly gash in his head and other painful injuries.

William Gamble, of West Newton, was struck by a B. & O. train at Suterville a few days ago and instantly killed. His wife and six children survive.

The fruit farm belonging to the estate of the late Philip S. Bear, near Carbon, has been purchased by A. G. Wible, of Greensburg, for $2,000. The tract contains eleven acres.

George W. Snyder and James Haymaker have purchased the Remaley Flouring Mill at Export. The mill has been in the possession of the Remaley family for over thirty years.

J. H. McCune, a Latrobe millworker, was found dead in bed Monday. He had been working night turn, and seemed in his usual good health when he went to bed in the morning.

Frank Huffman, a miner, living at Jack's Run, on East Pittsburg street, Greensburg, was struck by lightning last Friday evening. He remained unconscious for about five minutes.

A dog owned by Michael Dyer, near Bradenville, was seized with hydrophobia last Saturday, and was shot, but not until he had bitten a neighbor's dog, which was likewise promptly killed.

Rats the other night ate the face from a child's corpse as it lay in a room at the home of Mr. and Mrs. McIntyre, near Livermore. Other parts of the body were also mutilated by the ravenous rodents.

The Rev. Father M. A. Lambing, of Scottdale, was elected Secretary and Treasurer of the National Total Abstinence Union of America, at the meeting of that body, held at Providence, R. I., last week.

Ballard Page, colored, of Mt. Pleasant, who was wanted on a charge of having assaulted his twelve-year-old stepdaughter, settled the matter by payment of the costs, when arrested. Mrs. Page refused to push the case.

Through some carelessness in firing one of the big furnaces at the East End, Mt. Pleasant, glass factory was put out of commission Friday of last week, by its twelve pots breaking. The company's loss is something like $1,200.

William H. Fritz, of New Kensington, aged thirty-eight years, was run down and killed by a fast train at McKean station, Thursday evening of last week. The remains were sent to Zanesville, O., where he formerly resided.

Wednesday, August 29th the twenty-third annual reunion of the Borland family, one of the largest and oldest in western Pennsylvania, will be held at the Fair Grounds, Greensburg, where dinner will be served, while the headquarters of the reunion will be at the Merchants' Hotel, Greensburg.

James L. Kennedy, Esq., a prominent member of the Westmoreland County Bar, has just returned from a tour of Europe. While in London Mr. Kennedy met the Hon. William Jennings Bryan, and together they visited the House of Commons and witnessed the proceedings and deliberations of the English statesmen.

Millard D. Grimm, son of Simon H. Grimm, a prominent resident of Vandergrift, was so badly injured by being thrown from an automobile at Wellsville, O., on Sunday of last week, that he died on the Thursday following. He had been a resident of Wellsville for several years, and is survived by his wife and daughter.

During the absence in Canada Thursday of last week of the Rev. E. S. Wallace, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Greensburg, his only son, Frank R. Wallace, aged eight months, died after a brief illness. The Rev. Wallace was away on his vacation, and was about to start into the Canadian wilderness when the startling intelligence of his child's death reached him.

James G. Paul, the fourteen-year-old son of John C. Paul, of near Delmont, died last Sunday of lockjaw after several days of intense suffering. About two weeks ago he was thrown from a colt, which trampled upon and so badly mangled his right hand that the amputation of a portion of it was necessary. Thursday of last week tetanus developed, causing the lad's death.

The corner stone for Mt. Pleasant's new Armory was laid recently. There was only an informal ceremony at the laying, as the members of the company will wait until the building is dedicated for an elaborate program. It is expected to have Gov. Pennypacker present at the dedication, and a big time is anticipated. If the weather stays open the new building will be completed before the first of the year.

Page Created: 24 Jul 2004.
Last Updated: 17 Sep 2016
Copyright © 2000-2008, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors