You are here:   Cambria > Cemeteries > West Carroll > St. Joseph's/Hart's > Photos
HART'S SLEEPING PLACE
(St. Joseph's Mission Church Cemetery)
West Carroll Township
Cambria County, Pennsylvania

Marker

1830
ST. JOSEPH'S
MISSION CHURCH

     This log church is the oldest surviving wilderness mission in Cambria County and the Roman Cathlic Diocese of Altoona - Johnstown.

     It represents the work of the Benedictine Father Peter Lemke and Prince Gallitzin who built and blessed it in 1830.

     Many pioneers are buried in the churchyard including John Weakland, the legendary defender of Prince Gallitzin.

Allegheny Wilderness
Pioneer Site


(Photograph contributed by Nancy Troxell)

Marker

St. Joseph's Mission Church
Blessed Oct. 10, 1830

Hart's Sleeping Place



(Photograph contributed by Nancy Troxell)

Marker

Front view of church and cemetery.



(Photograph contributed by Nancy Troxell)

Marker

Side view of church and cemetery.



(Photograph contributed by Nancy Troxell)

Marker

SAINT JOSEPH'S
MISSION CHURCH
MARKER



(Photograph contributed by Patti Snyder Becker)

Marker SAINT JOSEPH CHURCH - HART'S SLEEPING PLACE
BLESSED OCTOBER 10, 1830 BY PRINCE GALLITZIN
THE OLDEST ORIGINAL CHURCH EDIFICE IN THE ALTOONA DIOCESE
AS SHOWN HERE THE ORIGINAL LOGS STILL FORM THE BASIC STRUCTURE

(Photograph contributed by Lisa Baker)


Page Created 24 Nov 2003, Last Updated: 23 Apr 2008
Copyright © 2000-2008, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors