|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|566||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
delphia, his entire medical career was passed in Johnstown. During the latter part of 1863 he took up military service and served one year as contract surgeon. He practiced continually until his death, meeting with the success which attends well-directed effort in any trade or profession. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church; of St. Paul's Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Philadelphia; and of the Cambria County Medical Society, in which he served as secretary for a number of years.
He married (first) Wilhelmina Rachel Wright, who was graduated from the Women's Medical College in Philadelphia, and practiced for a period of one year. She bore him children: Eva L., wife of McClellan Leggett, of Johnstown, and Edgar M., a physician of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Mrs. Marbourg died in 1870. He married (second), in March, 1872, Esther L. (Wright) Nippes, widow of J. Charles Nippes, who was killed at the battle of Gettysburg, by whom she had one child, Chester W. C. Nippes, a farmer of Indiana county. Mrs. Marbourg is a daughter of William and Rachel (Lukens) Wright, of Philadelphia, and a granddaughter of Elizabeth Johns Lukens, a Quaker preacher in Philadelphia. William Wright was a civil engineer, professor of languages in Philadelphia, and was a man of prominence. Esther L. (Wright) (Nippes) Marbourg was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was educated in the public schools of her native city, and subsequently pursued a course of reading in medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. Benjamin B. Wilson, of Philadelphia. She entered the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, in 1869, and in March, 1872, was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Shortly after graduation she came to Johnstown, where she has been engaged in the successful practice of her profession since that time. She was one of the incorporators of the Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital, being the only woman among the incorporators, and has served on the staff of that institution. She is an honored member of the Cambria County Medical Society, the Pennsylvania State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, having been a delegate to the meeting of the latter association when it convened in Chicago, in 1887. She is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work and interests of which she takes an active part.
TOBIAS KEAFER, deceased, for many years a highly respected resident of Upper Yoder township. Cambria county, Pennsylvania, obtained a common school education, and later turned his attention to farming, taking up a piece of land in Upper Yoder township, which was then in a state of complete wilderness, and which, with the aid of his brother, he cleared and cultivated, raising thereon sufficient for the needs of his family and also produce for sale. During his lifetime he en-