|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||531|
way of the family into the Province of Pennsylvania. He was a worthy pioneer and eventually became a man of large property and influence. Several of his brothers and at least one sister followed him to Pennsylvania, while one or two others remained at the old home in Maryland. Those who are known to have come to this state were Thomas, Isaac, George, Charles, Elisha, Clement and Millie. George Green, the progenitor of the family, died in Maryland some time later than 1763.
Thomas Green married (first) Helen Wright, who also was a native of Maryland and a descendant of English ancestors. She was born between 1760 and 1763, and died after 1794. They had a family of eleven children, all of whom, except the youngest, were born in Maryland, and on the farm where their parents had lived, for in that state, as later in Pennsylvania, Thomas Green was a thrifty farmer. The family emigration was made in 1784, soon after the War of the Revolution, and the settlement was made in Springfield township in Bedford county, near a gushing limestone spring of water, and on a tract of land which now is more than half covered by the village of Saltillo, in Huntingdon county, and which extended north into Hare's Valley more than a mile. The tract on which the settlement was made contained nearly four hundred acres of land and was warranted to its new owner some time afterward. Mr. Green cleared part of the land, and between 1785 and 1797 built a saw mill and a grist mill. The present grist mill at Saltillo stands on a part of the old original foundation. In 1878 the mill was owned by George M. Green, grandson of the pioneer. Mr. Green obtained warrants for six or seven tracts of land north and west of Saltillo, amounting in the aggregate to about eighteen hundred acres. The tract of three hundred and twenty-nine acres in Hare's Valley, four miles north of Saltillo, he warranted February 26, 1785, and gave it in equal parts to his sons, George and Thomas Green. After clearing a part of his original purchase he planted extensive apple and peach orchards, also erected a distillery a few rods west of the spring, and there he made peach brandy and whisky. Besides this he carried on a large farm and also operated both saw and grist mills.
At that time there were few other settlers in the vicinity, but in the region were a number of men of influence in the political affairs of the county and state, among whom may be mentioned Colonel George Ashmun, Henry Hubbell, John Wright and Abraham Wright. The lands of Henry Hubbell and Mr. Green joined a few rods south of the mill, and these worthy proprietors, being somewhat enterprising, conceived the idea of laying out a village; and accordingly they plotted a town called Springville, and caused a map of the village to be recorded in the office of the register of deeds at the county seat, in Book E at page 368 (No. 1), and of date August 20, 1796. The project failed, however, and now Saltillo stands on the village site projected by these pioneers more than one hundred years ago.