|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|528||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
attained his twenty-first year he went to work in the rail mill department of Cambria Steel Company, and after nine years there worked for six more years as motorman on the Johnstown Electric Passenger Railway, and then became assistant superintendent, under his brother, George W. Griffith, of the Basic Brick Works. His employment with the brick company was the real beginning of Mr. Griffith's business career, although he remained with the Basic concern only about one year. Later he went to Layton, Fayette county, and was superintendent there for the Fayette Brick Company, which then was the only company in this country engaged in the manufacture of magnesite brick. The pioneer of a new industry, the company in a way was an experiment and continued in business only three years. A short time before the work was abandoned Mr. Griffith had gone to Chester, on the Delaware river, near Philadelphia, to establish and superintend works of a similar character at that place, where the manufacture of brick of this special kind and quality could be carried on at a less expense than in Fayette county, as the raw material was imported from Triest, Austria, and could be unloaded from vessels on the dock in Chester without the additional expense of transportation by rail to an inland point. In Chester the work of establishing the great plant, which, including docks, etc., cost over a million dollars, devolved on Mr. Griffith, and when complete his work was found to be well done. He was superintendent there three years, until the concern changed owners, after which he returned to Johnstown and formed the Citizens' Merchandise Company, of which he is now secretary. The company was incorporated in September, 1905, is capitalized at fifteen thousand dollars, and is numbered with the successful business interests of the city.
Besides personal affairs that require much of his time, Mr. Griffith takes a commendable interest in all measures intended to promote the welfare of the city, and he is known in political circles as a stanch Republican. Prior to the annexation of Coopersdale to Johnstown he served three years as school director, and also as secretary of the Coopersdale school board. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and while living at Layton was trustee of the society there for three years. He also is a member of Alga Commandery, No. 218, A. and I. O. K. M., of Johnstown.
Robert Grant Griffith married, December 20, 1888, Amanda Bush, by whom he has one son, Charles Roy Griffith, born at Coopersdale, July 31, 1891.
George Warren Griffith, fifth son and seventh child of Stephen H. and Lucinda (Shaffer) Griffith, was born on his father's farm, above Bens Creek Furnace, Somerset county, Pennsylvania, April 3, 1873. He lived at home, and acquired a good education in the public schools and the State Normal School. January 1, 1895, he began molding brick for the Basic Brick Works in Johnstown. Six months later he became as-