|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||517|
Temple (Pittsburg), Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and is an Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite Mason.
In the emergencies which arose in connection with the memorable flood of 1889, in which medical assistance and surgical aid were necessary, Dr. Sheridan was most prompt to render whatever assistance was within his power. He organized the Bedford Street Hospital and as director of the same rendered most efficient service. He was also a member and director of the surgical staff of the temporary hospital located in the Seventh ward. He was appointed medical inspector by the state, in which capacity he rendered valuable aid and contributed largely toward securing sanitary conditions for the city. He was also a member of the committee appointed by the citizens of Johnstown, after the work of the state had ceased, to search for the dead, and with the other members of the committee, the Hon. John Hannan and the late Captain Gageby, succeeded in restoring to the friends and owners many bodies and valuables which otherwise would have been lost. He served also as a surgeon of the of the Fifth Regiment, national Guard of Pennsylvania, with the rank of surgeon-general from 1889 to 1894. He was a member of the board of pension examiners for Cambria county.
Dr. Sheridan married, December 7, 1876, Eta C. Haight, daughter of William R. Haight, of Earlville, Illinois, and they have the following children; Emily Eula, married Harry R Geer, master mechanic, Franklin Department Cambria Steel Company, Jessie Ruth, married Harvey F. Grazier, manager, Somerset &Cambria Coal Company, John C., managing editor of the “Punxsutawney Daily Spirit.” William Rutherford, at home.
COVER FAMILY. The surname Cover, originally and still occasionally given as Coover, has been closely associated with the history and growth of Cambria county through at least four successive generations of its representatives and with the history of the state of Pennsylvania for more than two hundred years. The American ancestor of the family settled where is now Germantown in Philadelphia during the latter part of the seventeenth century. He came from Germany and was of that nationality, but of his antecedents or even of the family life in Europe little is now known.
Gideon Cover (the surname will be so rendered in this record) was a grandson of the ancestor. The early years of his life were spent at Germantown, and from that place he subsequently removed to Cumberland county, where his son, Adam Cover, was born May 28, 1781. December 11, 1807, Adam Cover married Mary Magdalen Beeshoar, born in Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, March 14, 1789, of German and English descent, and soon afterward set out with his wife to make for themselves a new home in the southern part of the state. They settled at Harrisburg, then a flourishing town with promise of