|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|516||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
of medicine in the office of Dr. John Lowman, a prominent member of the medical profession of Johnstown. After a faithful preparatory study he entered Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from which institution he graduated in 1849. He at once located in Johnstown, and with the exception of four years practiced successfully in that place. During the four years referred to be purchased a drug and farming business, at Earlville, Illinois. Dr. Sheridan practiced the profession of medicine during a period that was marked by great strides in its progress, and of this progress he formed an important part. he was one of the founders of the Cambria County Medical Society, in which he served a number of times as president. Prior to the organization of the Republican party, of which he became an adherent and continued his affiliations therewith until 1892, he was a Democrat, and in that year espoused the cause of the Prohibition party. He was an honorable and respected member and elder of the First Presbyterian church of Johnstown, and was for several years superintendent of its Sabbath school.
Dr. Campbell Sheridan married (first), June 21, 1851, Emily Speer, daughter of William Speer, of Massachusetts, and to this union were born the following children; Mary E., married B. F. Speedy, Sallie C., married Jacob R. Layton, Dr. John C., see forward, Harry, George, William S, Martha, married George Erisman, Emily, married George Myer, Jessie, who makes her home with Mrs. Myer. Dr. Sheridan married (second) Mrs. Lizzie H. L. Linton, widow of Peter Linton, and daughter of a Mr. Hutchinson, of Ebensburg. Dr. Campbell Sheridan died in Johnstown, October 18, 1904.
Dr. John Campbell Sheridan received a common school education and attended Glade Run Academy of Armstrong County and the Edinboro State Normal School. He entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, from which he graduated in 1879. He at once located in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, and has been eminently successful. He possesses an affable manner and a sympathetic disposition that make him well liked socially as well as professionally. He is surgeon for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company, and was one the incorporators for the Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital, serving as a member of the board of managers and of the medical staff. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the Ninth International Medical Congress, Pennsylvania State Medical Society, and in 1902 was vice president of that organization, Cambria county Medical Society, National Association of Railway Surgeons and the Baltimore & Ohio Association of Railway Surgeons.
In Masonic circles, no less than as a physician and a citizen, he is prominent and popular. He is a member of Cambria Lodge, Free and Acccepted Masons; Portage Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Oriental Commandery, Knights Templar; Syrin